What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with G3X touch with GTX 327/GDL 88

jliltd

Well Known Member
I am putting together some equipment I have around to incorporate into a new G3X panel. I have a used GTX 327 digital Mode C transponder and a GDL 88. So I will be installing that for my UAT "out" solution with it's 978 & 1090 "in" for my GTN 750 screen. I know this doesn't provide "in" for the G3X screens but that can be addressed later with a GDL 5X and have everything lit up. But for now I want to put this equipment to use.

The GTX 327 has two serial ports and one will talk to the GDL 88. I want serial air data into the GTX 327 for it's mode C so that will take up the second port. I know I can get this through the GSU 25. I also know the GDU display has 5 usable serial ports. I made a diagram below with purple lines showing the GTX 327 connection options, delineated by numbers in circles:

p9vg7ok.jpg

So option 3 isn't really an option. It will be in place for the GDL 88. So the real question is if there is any preference for option 1 or option 2 for obtaining altitude signal? Would option 1 also support remote tuning of the transponder by the GDU in addition to of altitude? I am missing some of the documentation and am trying to get my hands on it this week but figured I'd ask here. Option 1 or Option 2? Or other?
Thanks,

Jim

So the real question is if there is any preference for option 1 or option 2 for obtaining altitude signal? Would option 1 also support remote tuning of the transponder by the GDU in addition to of altitude? I am missing some of the documentation and am trying to get my hands on it this week but figured I'd ask here. Option 1 or Option 2? Or other?
Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

Option 2 only.

You do not need an RS-232 connection between the GDU and the GTX 327. The bi-directional RS-232 connection between the GSU 25 and the GTX 327 is all you need for both altitude from the GSU 25 and tuning from the GDU.

Just follow the wiring and configuration guidance on page 27-32 of the Rev. AM G3X/G3X Touch Installation Manual.

Steve

Great Answer -- Thanks

Thanks, Steve! Isn't CAN Bus a handy thing? Kind of makes everything talk to everything else as long as their on the party line. :)

Back