What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tips on lycoming overhauls

jonmiller0

I'm New Here
Hello all,

I'm new to aircraft ownership and get the pleasure of a first overhaul!

Does anyone have any feedback on Ly-Con in California? Are overhauls a dime a dozen or should you do your research when sending an engine off for some TLC to get back to zero-time.

Thanks for the friendly advice.

Jon

Just had my Rocket engine done by Ly-Con. Great people to work with, good product, don't be in a hurry.

Hello all,
Does anyone have any feedback on Ly-Con in California? Are overhauls a dime a dozen or should you do your research when sending an engine off for some TLC to get back to zero-time.
Jon

Keep in mind, Only the manufacturer can return the engine to zero-time. Anything else will be "0-SMOH".

Ly-Con

Ly-Con does great work. You can get some extras that are unique to them, such as a milled o-ring slot on the case halves for a good seal, rather than the old 'silk thread' bit.

They can also do higher compression, port and polish, etc.

But beware, you may not get your engine back for the better part of a year, based on my past experience.

I did the case o ring mod and the CNC ported heads. Turn around was 5 months. Of that time, 4 months was spent getting to the front of the line as the shop worked through backlog.

No - Overhauls are not a dime a dozzen!!! If you get a $12,000 overhaul from a local mechanic you will loose $20,000 in value on your plane. Many people wont consider a plane that has been overhauled by anyone ofther than one of the top shops. Some of the ones that use to be considered top shelf (I have not looked in a while) are Penn Yan, Mattituck{now owned by Lycoming}, and of course if you go with Lycoming, you can usually exchange your engine and be back flying much sooner.

Several 'botique' options available. Those would be shops like LyCon and Barrett Precision Engines. While the price is high, so is the service and quality of engine build. Everything will be top notch.

You could go the rebuild route with another general aircraft engine rebuilding shop, they're scattered all over the country.

Or, you could enlist your local A&P/IA to do the work for you. They're fully capable but may not be as quality controlled or tricked out like some of the shops will do. But, it will fly.

I sourced a core and am going through the parts recondition and 8130 process now... Originally I wanted to build this up with an A&P/IA to be hands on, but now I'm starting to lean toward sending the heavy parts to an engine shop that does this 100% of the time, so I know it is built to their standards. Unfortunately I don't have the checkbook for new or a flahsy botique rebuild.

Aero Sport power

About 300 miles north of you is were I sent my last engine for overhaul , they are a very highly regarded name among RVers and experimental builders ,& your $$ may go further there too !!

Lycon

Please be careful dealing with Lycon, they cost me a lot of money when I had to have their work redone.

David Ahrens, RV6

Talk to Aero Sport Power in Kamloops, BC (250-376-2955). I chose them for my overhaul. They were highly recommended to me. They are very responsive, professional, knowledgeable, and helpful in every way, even arranged shipping to/from. Much faster turn around than what Ly-Con quoted. $20,380 for an O/H with new P-Mags and O/H fuel inj sys. Two hr eng run included.

Hello all,

Jon

Do you need an overhaul, Or are you just up against a number? You may be looking for something you don't need.....

Might look at a new top end.

Back