What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ElectroAir Run-Up Failure

KleensRV6

Well Known Member
Sponsor
The Structure: O-360 A1A with a Slick mag on the left side and the ElectroAir, electronic ignition operating on the right. This ElectroAir system was installed at 640 hours during a panel rebuild and now has over 700 plus hours on the system. It was wired with a toggle switch for ON/OFF on the panel and in series with the key ignition operating the “Right” mag selector.
The Problem: During a run-up the right side would delay (or not return to power at all) coming back on line after it was shut off either through the ignition switch or via the panel toggle. Leaving me with the Slick on the Left doing all the work.
Diagnosis: Check all connects between the mag timing housing (MTH) the toggle switch, and the ignition switch, as well as confirm no visible wire chaffing. Found all secure with no visible chaffing. The oldest electrical component - the ignition switch at 25 years, then the toggle switch at about 9 years. Now I know there are those of you out there who have the gift in being able to do an electrical check on the ignition switch - I’m not one of you. I was sent here to stimulate the economy, buy a new ignition switch and replace the old. Done, and of course no change. On to the toggle switch, and once it was replaced I’m still dealing with intermittent power on the (EI) right side during run-ups. Some coordination with Mike at ElectroAir, who suggests since the ignition and the toggle are wired in sequence disconnect the ignition switch. Same problem still exists.

On to the MTH sensor which I have already purchased a spare because crossing Cuba many years back Jimmy B & Gary (Seismo) Zilik said “You might need one out here in the islands”. That’s also why Rosie carries 1 or 2 alternators depending on the trip over water.

I attempt to remove the back plate on the MTH because the sensor needs to be gapped once installed, but I can’t get the plate off after removing the 2 screws. On to the sensor and completely remove the 2 set screws, but the sensor can’t be extracted either. Fine, I’ll remove the MTH. With the 2 nuts removed the MTH disconnects with ease. So then I remove the cover plate and this is what I find:

(I had a picture of an oil covered back plate of the MTH} But still learning...

After a conversation with Mike at ElectroAir I’m told the Garlock seal has failed and that a new MTH is in order. Since the old one is at 9 years on the engine, well they did swing a 20 percent discount for a new one.

So if you are running with intermittent firing of your ElectroAir mag after several years of no problem flying suggest you have a look behind the cover plate of the dry side of the MTH. If there is oil why, your “Garlock seal” has failed and it is time for a new Mag Timing Housing. Tell them Jailbird sent you.

Has this fixed the run-up failure? Will have to get back with you when the new unit arrives next week. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
ElectroAir Run-up Failure

Thanks Jail Bird, for sharing your troubles. I’ve been flying 10 years and about 700 hours on my EI system. Hope it continues to solder on for awhile.
Marty

Many moons ago I replaced the bearings and seals in the pickup. An easy job. I think I still may have spare bearings and seals if you need them. I'll look and post what I find.

I've been using and installing ElectroAir's for a very long time. I've never seen a Garlock seal go bad but I'm sure it happens. The only failure I've seen was the older MTH sensor wire became broken internally at the sensor end. Replaced it with the newer larger version.

Don’t get me wrong I have used the ElectroAir in both of our 6s and am very pleased with the performance. This was just an unusual pop up that for those experiencing similar ailments that this might be an easy check point before diving down other rabbit holes.

Hey Gary! Thanks for the check but no worries new part is on the way. All the best to you and Red!

Follow-Up Install

Don’t get me wrong I have used the ElectroAir in both of our 6s and am very pleased with the performance. This was just an unusual pop up that for those experiencing similar ailments that this might be an easy check point before diving down other rabbit holes.

Received the MTH through UPS last night and installed it today. Two outstanding points from ElectroAir; One, they gave me 40 percent off on the purchase not 20 and two, they provided a sensor installed and gapped for operation cutting down the install time. Thanks Mike! Plugged it in per the instructions and all is well.

Oil probably didn't kill it. It's just a 60 tooth wheel and a cylindrical magnetic pickup. More likely an intermittent pickup wire break or short. Pinching a cylinder full of wound wire with a set screw doesn't strike me as a great idea.

Oil probably didn't kill it. It's just a 60 tooth wheel and a cylindrical magnetic pickup. More likely an intermittent pickup wire break or short. Pinching a cylinder full of wound wire with a set screw doesn't strike me as a great idea.

The sensor is very stout, a set screw could not pinch or dent the stainless sensor body. What the problem most likely was, the wire(s) inside the shield right at the sensor. This can be a failure point from vibration. It's how the sensor wire is secured to the non vibration side verses the vibrating engine. Worn mounts could amplify this effect as well as the length of the wire from the secured end to the sensor, will act like a piano string.

Back