What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UAvionix ?failed to generate report? cause

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I have a Uavionix Echo + Skyfyx EXT echoing a Garmin 320A. No EFIS or other GPS connections. I climbed to 10,500 to do the verification test, flew for 30 minutes there, then landed and submitted the flight info through the FAA website, but got an email back saying that my ?performance report request... failed to generate a report?. Did the online request form a couple more times with the same result. I also made sure I had the right Zulu date and time. For what it?s worth, other aircraft are now reporting that I?m showing up on their ADSB screens, I just don?t know what I?m doing wrong that is preventing the FAA from being able to generate a report.
Any suggestions I might be able to work on this weekend?
Thanks.

I have noticed lately that it seems to take a couple of hours, and sometimes longer, for the sytem to recognize and generate a report. I used to be able to install the ADSB eq;uipment, fly it, and then request a report as soon as it landed. Something seems to have changed.

Vic

Leave off the time

I requested a report less than a week ago. When I put in the time in the appropriate block, it failed to generate a report.

I requested another report leaving the "time" block empty and it generated a report.

Try that and report back, if you would.

Don

I requested a report less than a week ago. When I put in the time in the appropriate block, it failed to generate a report.

I requested another report leaving the "time" block empty and it generated a report.

Try that and report back, if you would.

Don
Thanks. If tried it with a time and without a time. Same result.

Read through this entire thread, noting post 17 in particular. I?m guessing you will have your answer

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=174200&highlight=Erich

Good luck
Erich

I didn?t have Bluetooth on and don?t have cellular data on my iPad, but I will fly again and see if the setup data including my n number is saved and showing. Will also see if my foreflight is showing my ownship data accurately. Still, it?s strange that other aircraft could see me and my n number just fine but the FAA test tool could not.

Check the " monitor" fx on that phone app and see if all the set up looks right. If its powered and wifi connected should see data in the app

I didn?t have Bluetooth on and don?t have cellular data on my iPad, but I will fly again and see if the setup data including my n number is saved and showing. Will also see if my foreflight is showing my ownship data accurately. Still, it?s strange that other aircraft could see me and my n number just fine but the FAA test tool could not.

The other traffic may have been seeing you via TIS-B?
In ForeFlight, check More > Devices > Your ADS-B Device > Ownship, and seeing if your tail number is listed there, along with the other data when clicking it.

Check the " monitor" fx on that phone app and see if all the set up looks right. If its powered and wifi connected should see data in the app

The other traffic may have been seeing you via TIS-B?
In ForeFlight, check More > Devices > Your ADS-B Device > Ownship, and seeing if your tail number is listed there, along with the other data when clicking it.

Will do for both of theses suggestions later today. Will report back. Thanks.

Test flew again, ensuring Bluetooth was off and I don’t have cell data plan on my iPad. Foreflight showed my ownship data accurately and was getting good adsb in data and good gps position data. i was getting a fair bit of periodic ghosting 100 feet below and behind me but it wasn’t continuous.

It seems other aircraft were seeing my n# but not (at least consistently) seeing my altitude.

In flight the Echo status monitor showed my address, n#, category (light aircraft) and gps altitude correctly, but...
1. It didn’t show anything for my barometric altitude. Should it?
2. It didn’t show a change of my squawk code. It continued to show 1200 even after I switched my transponder to discrete squawk code ATC gave me for flight following. Should it have shown the new squawk code?

In addition to the above, ATC did not see any ADSB data for me while I was on flight following. (Given that, I didn’t even bother to order a performance report when I got on the ground).

Any idea what the above might tell me? I assume a call to uavionix is in order but if anyone has other suggestions before I can do that on Monday they would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Again, FWIW, my equipment is ECHO UAT/SkyFyx-EXT repeating off my old Garmin 320A Mode C transponder. No hard wired connections to anything.

Last edited:
Yes, it should show pressure altitude and squawk code. If you are hard wired to your transponder, something is wrong - maybe the baud rates or format. If your UAT ?sniffs? this data wirelessly, you may need to lower the threshold sensitivity in the UAT setup.

Yes, it should show pressure altitude and squawk code. If you are hard wired to your transponder, something is wrong - maybe the baud rates or format. If your UAT ‘sniffs’ this data wirelessly, you may need to lower the threshold sensitivity in the UAT setup.

Thanks Bob. Yes, it is the latter. No hardwire. If I recall correctly my threshold sensitivity default from the factory was pretty high compared to what other threads indicated theirs needed to be lowered to in order to get good reports. I just wasn’t aware that the sensitivity setting might prevent me from getting a report period. No harm in trying that though as it makes sense that the echo is just not reading the transponder very well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
reduce the transponder threshold

I posted this in another thread today but it sure seems like the way to do it to me:
I wasn't getting anything in the baro alt line so Uavionix said to start pretty high and reduce the threshold number by 50-75 at a time and watch the monitor on the app to see when something shows up in baro alt. So I started at 1500 and reduced it as instructed every couple of minutes until the baro alt showed up. It dropped out so I reduced it a time or two more until it stabilized.
This method seems way better than setting a threshold number, going for a flight, running a report, then repeating the process. The monitor function in the app gives more or less instant results for any changes you make in configuration.

I posted this in another thread today but it sure seems like the way to do it to me:
I wasn't getting anything in the baro alt line so Uavionix said to start pretty high and reduce the threshold number by 50-75 at a time and watch the monitor on the app to see when something shows up in baro alt. So I started at 1500 and reduced it as instructed every couple of minutes until the baro alt showed up. It dropped out so I reduced it a time or two more until it stabilized.
This method seems way better than setting a threshold number, going for a flight, running a report, then repeating the process. The monitor function in the app gives more or less instant results for any changes you make in configuration.

Did you do this in flight or on the ground, Robert?

I just went back out and changed mine from the about 1500 default down to 1350 on the ground. Almost immediately this gave me both baro alt and squawk on the echo app monitor while on the ground. I then went and flew and found two things:
1. I still wasn't being picked up by ATC with ADS-B out data. Moreover, I wasn't being picked up by other aircraft anymore apprently.
2. As I got higher, baro alt and squawk showed up even when I switched back to 1500. However, when I started descending again, I needed to go back down on the threshold (ended up/picked 1350) for both to show up when I was nearing pattern altitude or below.​

Not sure what all this tells me, except that a call/email to UAvionix to make sure every single configuration setting is as it should be for my equipment set-up is in order. A bit frustrating, but I've heard their customer support is good, so fingers crossed.

Last edited:
"I know a guy..."

A friend installed one of these in his high wing and flew the test and, like the OP, didn't get any results.

Turns out he installed it on the right wing and made turns to the left.

When he went up for the second test hop, he made turns to the right and received a report.

He mentioned that he had heard of similar results from others.

I have not idea if this is true or not, but I trust the guy who told me the story.

It would be nice to verify this is possible.

in the air

Did you do this in flight or on the ground, Robert?

absolutely in the air. that was what was cool about it. I could lower the threshold through the config menu and then switch to the monitor and see the result. Kept lowering until the baro alt came alive and then until it stabilized.
There's apparently a tower very near SCR and I had coverage (with a baro alt reading) even as I taxied back to the hangar.

Below is right from the horse's mouth... Uavionix web site.

Adjusting the threshold value on the echoUAT can improve the performance of the transponder monitor. uAvionix does not recommend changing the value unless directed to do so by uAvionix.

The threshold value adjusts the sensitivity of the echoUAT transponder monitor. Higher values reduce sensitivity, lower values increase sensitivity.

To modify the threshold value perform the following steps:

1. Turn the avionics master on.

2. Place the Transponder in "ALT" mode.

3. Connect a mobile device to the echoUAT Wi-Fi.

4. Open the echo mobile application.

5. Verify the app shows "Connected to Device"

6. Tap two fingers simultaneously on the echo logo.

7. Scroll to the bottom of the app screen and find the Transponder Threshold values.

8. Lower the Transponder Threshold by 50 points and press Update Advanced.

9. Switch to the Monitor screen and watch for pressure altitude and squawk.
Please note transponder must be receiving radar interrogations for the fields to populate and this is usually best done while flying. Most transponders have a reply light or indicator.
Note Mode S does not reply with pressure altitude in a ground state.

10. When the appropriate threshold has been reached the Squawk and Pressure altitude will display. Repeat 8 & 9 until ALL fields are showing data

11. Values lower than 1000 should not be used..

If you are still having difficulty and cannot get a reliable/stable readout please contact [email protected]

Thank you. Do you have the weblink for that? I looked all over their site unsuccessfully even though it was probably right in front of me.

Below is right from the horse's mouth... Uavionix web site.

Adjusting the threshold value on the echoUAT can improve the performance of the transponder monitor. uAvionix does not recommend changing the value unless directed to do so by uAvionix.

The threshold value adjusts the sensitivity of the echoUAT transponder monitor. Higher values reduce sensitivity, lower values increase sensitivity.

To modify the threshold value perform the following steps:

1. Turn the avionics master on.

2. Place the Transponder in "ALT" mode.

3. Connect a mobile device to the echoUAT Wi-Fi.

4. Open the echo mobile application.

5. Verify the app shows "Connected to Device"

6. Tap two fingers simultaneously on the echo logo.

7. Scroll to the bottom of the app screen and find the Transponder Threshold values.

8. Lower the Transponder Threshold by 50 points and press Update Advanced.

9. Switch to the Monitor screen and watch for pressure altitude and squawk.
Please note transponder must be receiving radar interrogations for the fields to populate and this is usually best done while flying. Most transponders have a reply light or indicator.
Note Mode S does not reply with pressure altitude in a ground state.

10. When the appropriate threshold has been reached the Squawk and Pressure altitude will display. Repeat 8 & 9 until ALL fields are showing data

11. Values lower than 1000 should not be used..

If you are still having difficulty and cannot get a reliable/stable readout please contact [email protected]

I'm wondering, with all these pilots flying around and being inside fiddling with avionics, is anyone on board to maintain a lookout for traffic? Wouldn't it be ironic to cause a mid-air while having these ADS-B adventures and discoveries.

My understanding is that a "bad"Transponder Threshold setting should NOT result in a "No Report". You would get a report, but there would be failures (Red Boxes).

A "No Report" means that the system never saw anything that was attached to your N-number.

This can be caused by being in the "anonymous" mode. [In the App, make sure that the anonymous mode is DISABLED.] Or by having an incorrect ICAO Hex code programmed. Or by an incorrect N-number programmed. Or by no power to the uAvionix unit.

Before you do a test flight, make sure that the APP is properly responding to the ADSB out signals on the ground.

Also, as you mentioned, make sure the UTC date is correct. Try a date one day before, and one day after your flight.

Hope this helps

Same issue

I had trouble for about a year until Uavionics sent me a new unit. If you can?t get any results, send the unit back.

Update: I finally got a report from one of yesterday?s flights, though still not from my original Friday afternoon flight. The former is the good news, the FAA saw me, at least a little bit. The report indicates however that overall I failed SIL and SDA and had red for a portion of the time in NACp, NACv, flight ID, emit cat, and baro alt, sil, sda, and mode 3A.

In addition, local pilots were not seeing me, at least consistently, and ATC could not find me using ADSB.

An email to uavionix to confirm proper settings is in order. Hoping I can send them a copy of my report and go from there.

Thanks for the previous help in this thread. Will update when I hear back from uavionix.

Are my setup values correct?

In the meantime, I'm wondering if I have the normal setup numbers correct in the "Configuration" Menu as I did have a bit of trouble interpreting the Uavionix installation manual for a couple settings. The correct values would be specific to my equipment. I'm wondering if anyone else who is similarly equipped could confirm I have the right values in advance of my call to customer support tomorrow.

My equipment:
EchoUAT connected to SkyFyx-EXT for GPS, sniffing (no hardwire connection) my mode C transponder, outputing ADS-B in wirelessly to my iPad. No EFIS connections at all.

CONFIGURATION--

Selected Device Type: "echoUAT"

TRANSCEIVER CONFIGURATION--
Control: "UAT TX enabled"
ICAO Number (hex) : my 6 digit alphanumeric
Call Sign: my N#
Flight Plan ID: left blank
CSID Logic: "Enabled"
Anonymous Mode: "Disabled"
Emitter Category: "Light Airplane"
VFR Code: "1200"
ADS-B In Capability: "Both 1090/978 MHz"
Vso (knots): "30"
Aircraft length: "L<15"
Aircraft width: "W<23"
GPS Ant Offset, Lateral: "0"
GPS Ant Offset, Longitudinal: "0"

INSTALLATION--
Setup Source: "App (Wifi Stored)"
Control Source: "Transponder Monitor"
GPS Source: "External GPS (COM 2)"
Traffic Uplink Output: "MFD (COM 2)"--default left selected because I found no instructions to contrary. However, there is a "None" option. Should I have chosen that?
COM1 Rate: "38400"--default left selected because I found no instructions to contrary. No "none" option.
COM1 Data: "81O"--default left selected because I found no instructions to contrary. No "none" option.
COM1 PHY: "RS-485 Terminated"--default left selected because I found no instructions to contrary. No "none" option.
COM1 Protocol: "TMAP"--default left selected because I found no instructions to contrary. No "none" option.
COM2 Rate: "115200"
COM2 Input Protocol: "NMEA"

As you can guess, I'm most curious whether the installation values I annotated in red are correct. The others I'm pretty sure I have correct because the installation manual was fairly straightforward on those.

Any help from those with a similar setup would be much appreciated as it may greatly speed up my customer support from Uavionix tomorrow.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Almost surely not your main problem, but ?gps antenna offset-longitudinal? is the antenna to nose distance; probably not zero.

Just to close out this thread, for those of you who may be in a similar situation... I appear to have gotten my system up and working. In working close with Uavionix support I found a couple things:
1. The settings below are indeed correct for a person using the system to "sniff" a Mode C transponder with no wired connections.
2. I had dumbly misconstructed my RG-400 cable when I attached one of the BNC fittings and allowed the barrel to short to the center wire of the cable--needless to say that was causing serious attenuation issues. Dope slap. :eek:
3. Once the antenna issue was addressed I still got a baro alt failure on my test flight/PAPR.
4. Dropped my threshold setting down to 1300, per UAv support instructions and now have two clean (no-red) passing PAPR's. I'll still work on dialing in the threshold setting to see if I can get a 0% failure rate on all PAPR sub-tests (one was perfectly clean, one passed but had minor failures on flight id and geo alt) but I can work on that at my later convenience.​
All in all I have no complaints about Uavionix's customer support. Hope this helps.

My equipment:
EchoUAT connected to SkyFyx-EXT for GPS, sniffing (no hardwire connection) my mode C transponder, outputing ADS-B in wirelessly to my iPad. No EFIS connections at all.

CONFIGURATION--

Selected Device Type: "echoUAT"

TRANSCEIVER CONFIGURATION--
Control: "UAT TX enabled"
ICAO Number (hex) : my 6 digit alphanumeric
Call Sign: my N#
Flight Plan ID: left blank
CSID Logic: "Enabled"
Anonymous Mode: "Disabled"
Emitter Category: "Light Airplane"
VFR Code: "1200"
ADS-B In Capability: "Both 1090/978 MHz"
Vso (knots): "30"
Aircraft length: "L<15"
Aircraft width: "W<23"
GPS Ant Offset, Lateral: "0"
GPS Ant Offset, Longitudinal: "0"

INSTALLATION--
Setup Source: "App (Wifi Stored)"
Control Source: "Transponder Monitor"
GPS Source: "External GPS (COM 2)"
Traffic Uplink Output: "MFD (COM 2)"--default left selected because I found no instructions to contrary.
COM1 Rate: "38400"--default left selected because I found no instructions to contrary. No "none" option.
COM1 Data: "81O"--default left selected because I found no instructions to contrary. No "none" option.
COM1 PHY: "RS-485 Terminated"--default left selected because I found no instructions to contrary. No "none" option.
COM1 Protocol: "TMAP"--default left selected because I found no instructions to contrary. No "none" option.
COM2 Rate: "115200"
COM2 Input Protocol: "NMEA"

Last edited:
Test flew again, ensuring Bluetooth was off and I don?t have cell data plan on my iPad. Foreflight showed my ownship data accurately and was getting good adsb in data and good gps position data. i was getting a fair bit of periodic ghosting 100 feet below and behind me but it wasn?t continuous.

It seems other aircraft were seeing my n# but not (at least consistently) seeing my altitude.

In flight the Echo status monitor showed my address, n#, category (light aircraft) and gps altitude correctly, but...
1. It didn?t show anything for my barometric altitude. Should it?
2. It didn?t show a change of my squawk code. It continued to show 1200 even after I switched my transponder to discrete squawk code ATC gave me for flight following. Should it have shown the new squawk code?

In addition to the above, ATC did not see any ADSB data for me while I was on flight following. (Given that, I didn?t even bother to order a performance report when I got on the ground).

Any idea what the above might tell me? I assume a call to uavionix is in order but if anyone has other suggestions before I can do that on Monday they would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Again, FWIW, my equipment is ECHO UAT/SkyFyx-EXT repeating off my old Garmin 320A Mode C transponder. No hard wired connections to anything.

I really appreciate the time you took to share this on VAF. As a person who is about to install a EchoUAT with a GTX320A it is super helpful to know all you learned - before I install mine....

Charlie

I have noticed lately that it seems to take a couple of hours, and sometimes longer, for the sytem to recognize and generate a report. I used to be able to install the ADSB eq;uipment, fly it, and then request a report as soon as it landed. Something seems to have changed.

Vic

Slightly off topic but I just had to laugh about this. You should consider yourself lucky. The ADS-B reports are lightning fast by comparison.
Try getting your RVSM height monitoring report in anything less than multiple months.

I noticed way back in the thread that your iPad does not have cellular. If so, it does not have a real GPS receiver. WiFi only iPads don’t not have a GPS receiver and only get crude location data from the cell connection. What is your GPS source ? Perhaps you are not sending GPS information. Just a shot in the dark.

Just a reminder the report uses UTC for it's time. If you flew in the late afternoon, it COULD be under the next day's reporting.. I had this happen to me yesterday. I selected July 3rd, but it was actually 0100 Zulu, so technically July 4th.

Back