What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lotta questions on ADS B Privacy here on VAF--lately

I guess the focus of my post was that there are multiple reasons for wanting to be anonymous, and that it's a hard battle to fight with regulators when some in the 'pilot community' hold the opinion that everybody should be on display

I guess the focus of my post was that there are multiple reasons for wanting to be anonymous, and that it's a hard battle to fight with regulators when some in the 'pilot community' hold the opinion that everybody should be on display
I agree our visibility should be no worse than an automobile. But at the very least, the pilot and aircraft databases shouldn't be public. That alone would go a long way to ensuring privacy for those who wanted it. It might be an easier fight to get changed, too.

I agree our visibility should be no worse than an automobile. But at the very least, the pilot and aircraft databases shouldn't be public. That alone would go a long way to ensuring privacy for those who wanted it. It might be an easier fight to get changed, too.

I opted out my address in the pilot airmen registry, but could not with the aircraft registry. Unless, I missed the opt out option on my aircraft registry.

Try to find anonymous mode on a mode S transponder.

That?s why the GDL-82 only works with Mode C. The uAvionix UAT devices work with either Mode C or Mode S transponders but the uAvionix Mode S installations override any anonymous election.

Revert to mode C ?

That?s why the GDL-82 only works with Mode C. The uAvionix UAT devices work with either Mode C or Mode S transponders but the uAvionix Mode S installations override any anonymous election.

Perhaps someone with mode S (not ES) could share operational possibilities.

The old mode c transponders, one could always revert to mode A.

Do the Mode S transponders not let it dumb down and share mode C only?

Any type of Mode S, S or ES, continuously puts out a discrete aircraft identification code that isn't optional. That Mode S identification code can be found in the FAA aircraft database if you run an N-Number search. The transmittal of identification is a fundamental design and operational criteria established in the early 1970's at MIT laboratories during the development of Mode S. Aircraft identity is in the Mode S DNA. There is no way to "dumb" down any kind of Mode S (S or ES) to Mode C as they use different hardware and respond differently to interrogation. It would be akin to trying to dumb down a glide slope receiver to an VOR receiver. Yes they are both ground-based navigation systems that use CDI indicators but it is apples and oranges.

Jim

Last edited:
Rob in post #52 is correct. the name and address of my daughter should not be public knowledge if someone has the n number of her aircraft.
make the faa aircraft registry private.

Rob in post #52 is correct. the name and address of my daughter should not be public knowledge if someone has the n number of her aircraft.
make the faa aircraft registry private.

Agreed, if car registration is not public, there is no reason aircraft registration should be public.

Eyes are the best collision avoidance system

Having the registration number of the traffic seen on a display does not help in collision prevention. The traffic will show up exactly the same way in anonymous mode but without the registration. The only place I can see tying the registration shown on your display to the visually identified traffic is in the traffic pattern where you should not be looking inside at a display in the first place! If I see any target on a display I will attempt to locate it visually. Bear in mind not all traffic will show on your system. We have a number of Cubs, Champs and the like nearby that have never had an electrical system and are not required to equip. They will not show up even in ADSB rule airspace. Gliders are also not required to equip although many have FLARM which you will see but is not required.

Your eyes are the best collision avoidance system. I use an ADSB traffic display when safe to do so to help locate traffic but do not rely solely upon it. Cubs, gliders or even fully ADSB out aircraft with malfunctioning equipment are considerations. To paraphrase Dean Wormer from Animal House "Heads down is no way to go though airspace."

Having the registration number of the traffic seen on a display does not help in collision prevention. The traffic will show up exactly the same way in anonymous mode but without the registration. The only place I can see tying the registration shown on your display to the visually identified traffic is in the traffic pattern where you should not be looking inside at a display in the first place! If I see any target on a display I will attempt to locate it visually. Bear in mind not all traffic will show on your system. We have a number of Cubs, Champs and the like nearby that have never had an electrical system and are not required to equip. They will not show up even in ADSB rule airspace. Gliders are also not required to equip although many have FLARM which you will see but is not required.

Your eyes are the best collision avoidance system. I use an ADSB traffic display when safe to do so to help locate traffic but do not rely solely upon it. Cubs, gliders or even fully ADSB out aircraft with malfunctioning equipment are considerations. To paraphrase Dean Wormer from Animal House "Heads down is no way to go though airspace."

Excellent post, Skysailor. And what you say about non engine-driven electrical aircraft is correct. They will never bee seen in the ADS-B system because they cannot practically equip, even voluntarily. For clarification you cannot operate a non-equipped aircraft, with or without an electrical system as defined, at any time in Rule Airspace with only one exception granted to non electrical aircraft like your Cubs and Champs. That exception is within the airspace previously known as the Mode C veil around and under Class Bravo. So while you might have Cubs and Champs without electrical systems in the "balance" of Rule Airspace they would be there in violation of the rule.

I currently have a petition on file with the FAA (in cooperation with the AOPA legal team) to allow non engine-driven aircraft to equip with ADS-B out. It's interesting that the FAA's own desire to equip all aircraft effectively excludes these airplanes from equipping. The reasons and details don't have anything to do with this thread but it is interesting how little understanding the rule makers have of reality.

Jim

Can't turn it off. Not without a change to the rule. That's the whole point. If you are equipped, no matter your aircraft, you cannot move the airplane anywhere within the boundaries of the USA without the equipment being turned on and operating. No exceptions. This includes an engine run up, taxiing on the ground, or landing to pee in the middle of nowhere. Any time, any where, any how. Make sure your local maintenance shop knows that when they start or move an equipped aircraft for any reason ADS-B out must be on and operating properly whether they are in or out of Rule Airspace. You can turn off ADS-B physically, at which point you are in violation of the FARs.

Last edited:
Can't turn it off. Not without a change to the rule. That's the whole point. If you are equipped, no matter your aircraft, you cannot move the airplane anywhere within the boundaries of the USA without the equipment being turned on and operating. No exceptions. This includes an engine run up, taxiing on the ground, or landing to pee in the middle of nowhere. Any time, any where, any how. Make sure your local maintenance shop knows that when they start or move an equipped aircraft for any reason ADS-B out must be on and operating properly whether they are in or out of Rule Airspace. You can turn off ADS-B physically, at which point you are in violation of the FARs.

How would they know?

I am sure if you want to break the FARs you could probably get away with it if you really want to. That's not the point. The point is the rule is onerous and over-reaching and we all sat by and let the FAA do what they wanted when they created and NPRM'd the rule. Even the alphabet aviation groups were asleep at the wheel. So now it's mandatory on all the time for equipped aircraft. As a result non-electrical aircraft that equip are in immediate violation of the rule unless they take 5 minute flights with their total-waste electrical systems. Anything more and either the pilot must turn things off to save the battery or he leaves it on until the battery is dead. And there is no accommodation of such an event in the rule so it's a violation.

If you are equipped, no matter your aircraft, you cannot move the airplane anywhere within the boundaries of the USA without the equipment being turned on and operating. No exceptions.
Incorrect. All but the lead aircraft in a formation flight can turn theirs off.

Incorrect. All but the lead aircraft in a formation flight can turn theirs off.

Good catch. The FAA put out that exemption last year after pressure from pilots and ATC alike.

Similarly an aircraft without equipment or with defective equipment can request a flight within rule airspace for purposes of maintenance (or other appropriate reason) by filling out an online ADAPT form. ATC isn't supposed to be allowed to make this call only the ADAPT computer. But it appears ATC is still doing it over the radio.

Jim

And I was curious how many more midairs would have been prevented this year by ADS-B equipped aircraft as they converged on Air Venture.

Guess I'll have to wait till next year.

Back