What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transporting Rv6

Nelson235

I'm New Here
Looking for helpful tips on tying down/securing a Rv6 fuselage for transport. Wings are off in in racks, same with horizontal stab. Fuselage is on gear with engine mounted. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

I used a modified boat trailer and loaded my fuselage tail first . The wings were padded and stored horizontally in the back of my van, same for the horizontal stabilizer. As always your mileage may vary.

Aft bulkhead damage

Use caution if weight is on the tail gear and vertical stab is not installed. The tail spring socket aft flange bolts to the rear bulkhead and also captures the vert fin rear spar. When these bolts are out the aft flange is not supported by the rear bulkhead and a pothole could cause some grief. I would transport with bolts reinstalled using wide area washers or a piece of bar stock in place of vert fin rear spar. Recommend a thread search on this subject.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Here's some pics of a RV6 transport on a common 16' utility trailer. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSCF1388.jpg
    DSCF1388.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCF1389.jpg
    DSCF1389.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 238
  • DSCF1390.jpg
    DSCF1390.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCF1393.jpg
    DSCF1393.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 221
Keep in mind that with the wings and empennage removed but an engine and prop still installed, it will be very nose heavy.
Adding some ballast to the aft deck is a good idea for safety.

Back