What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose gear fairing fitment w/o Engine

ShortSnorter

Well Known Member
I'm pretty sure I've seen it discussed here before, but I can't seem to locate the thread, so here goes:

I do not yet have my engine installed and while slowly advancing through section 46A (RV-14A), I can't help but wonder if the need to jack the aircraft off the ground is to remove the deflection created from the weight of the engine installation. I slowly lifted & lowered the front of the plane using an engine hoist and I can't really see any deflection. In fact, I have weights hanging off the engine mount to keep the nose from popping in the air.

Without the engine installed, is it really necessary to fit the nose gear fairing with the plane raised?

I'm pretty sure I've seen it discussed here before, but I can't seem to locate the thread, so here goes:

I do not yet have my engine installed and while slowly advancing through section 46A (RV-14A), I can't help but wonder if the need to jack the aircraft off the ground is to remove the deflection created from the weight of the engine installation. I slowly lifted & lowered the front of the plane using an engine hoist and I can't really see any deflection. In fact, I have weights hanging off the engine mount to keep the nose from popping in the air.

Without the engine installed, is it really necessary to fit the nose gear fairing with the plane raised?

If you want the nose wheel fairing to be aligned for lowest drag it is.

The airplane doesn't sit in level flight attitude on the ground. it is even more nose up without the weight of an engine helping to compress the elastomers in the nose gear strut.
When you jack and level the airframe per the manual your are simulating level flight and then using the shop floor as a (level) measuring reference.
With the style nose gear it is important that it be allowed to "hang" in the same position it will be in in level flight.

If you want the nose wheel fairing to be aligned for lowest drag it is.

The airplane doesn't sit in level flight attitude on the ground. it is even more nose up without the weight of an engine helping to compress the elastomers in the nose gear strut.
When you jack and level the airframe per the manual your are simulating level flight and then using the shop floor as a (level) measuring reference.
With the style nose gear it is important that it be allowed to "hang" in the same position it will be in in level flight.

Got it thanks, makes sense. I was not considering the leveling of the aircraft affecting the nose gear since I was hyper focused on not seeing any movement or displacement of the gear leg regardless if it was jacked up or on the ground.

Back