What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

simpla backup AI

Jake14

Well Known Member
would like to find a backup electronic (non-mechanical gyro) AI which is not dependent on GPS signals or pitot/static data. Just a simple unit with electrical input only and backup battery Does such a device exist?

would like to find a backup electronic (non-mechanical gyro) AI which is not dependent on GPS signals or pitot/static data. Just a simple unit with electrical input only and backup battery Does such a device exist?

iPhone or iPad with free app.

Just curious what your reasons are for avoiding GPS and/or Pitot/Static inputs?

The GRT series comes closest to what you are looking for, IMHO.

It's a big forum, someone will come along and have what you are looking for.....

Bingo! the RCA2610 fits the bill. Unfortunately the $2,600 price (plus a backup batt) is out of my range just to avoid the pitot/static/GPS complexity. The fact that it's for certified aircraft may have something to do with it, and apparently a completely different technology. Possibly someone will come up with a more reasonable version for experimentals.

I guess GPS reliability is such that I shouldn't really be worried about it. It's more just a desire to 'keep it simple and uncluttered'.

Dynon D2/D3 simple option

All GPS, work great, and track your regular displays really well!

Ron

Back