What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UAvionix Tail BeaconX

I have! Works great!

Required running two additional wires to the tail to provide a data path back to the head unit in the panel.

That's right, you need a head unit in the panel to talk to it. Either an AV-20, AV-30, or you can wire it into a modern EFIS that can control a remote Transponder.

The only downside I see is that the two antenna "arms" are just PCB material, and they are sticking out about a foot above my tailwheel. That means they are very close to my tow bar when i'm moving the plane around, so I need to be careful not to smack one of them and break it off. If that happens, it's not replaceable. You'll need an entire new unit.

I have! Works great!

Required running two additional wires to the tail to provide a data path back to the head unit in the panel.

That's right, you need a head unit in the panel to talk to it. Either an AV-20, AV-30, or you can wire it into a modern EFIS that can control a remote Transponder.

The only downside I see is that the two antenna "arms" are just PCB material, and they are sticking out about a foot above my tailwheel. That means they are very close to my tow bar when i'm moving the plane around, so I need to be careful not to smack one of them and break it off. If that happens, it's not replaceable. You'll need an entire new unit.
Cool. The two antenna "arms" won't be an issue for nose gear airplanes. What are you using as a control head?

:cool:

Cool. The two antenna "arms" won't be an issue for nose gear airplanes. What are you using as a control head?
I received an AV-10 with the unit when I was beta testing. They just sent me the "final" version with a new AV-10, but I was told previously that the AV-10 was only for the test phase and they don't plan to make it a product.

I'd like to get an AV-30, but I may just wait until I re-do the panel and wire it directly to an EFIS instead.

Is a control head required???

Yes. You need a way to set your transponder code, as this is a 1090ES unit. So that means either a head unit from uAvionix, or a compatible EFIS that can control the transponder side for you.

Back