What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV14A underway !

BravoAlphaRomeo

Rookie here saying hello ! 10 hours into my slow build empennage kit. Finish drilled the VS today and then totally disassembled. It?s like drinking through a fire hose at this point. I am a 30 year PP who as done owner assisted annuals for all of those years. Whilst a wrench is not foreign in my hand, a pneumatic squeezer most certainly is ! Will be attending the fundamentals class at Synergy Air in a little over a week. Hoping this speeds up my learning process.

Anyway, been lurking on the forums for a short while and already picked up many pointers. Thanks to those who have educated me ;). I will get signed up on a photo sharing site so I can post pics.

Welcome to the VAF, B.A.R.!! I am only about 4 or 5 weeks ahead of you on my 14A and can absolutely sympathize with your "drinking from a firehose" comments. I am a 60 HOUR PP, so trying to do both at once is proving both fun and challenging.

FWIW, I did the Synergy Air class in Newnan about 3 weeks ago, and definitely recommend. While I had done the Vans practice control surface kit prior to going to SA (which is what you do while there), I would say the opportunity to spend 10 hours with Allen from SA and pick his brain is 100% valuable. I picked up good pointers on tools usage and build basics (edge prep, rivets, etc.) and also got a lot of good information on possible upgrades tweaks to make to your build, based on some of the builds going on in the shop around you....brakes, fuel lines, injection, ignition options, etc. etc. etc. All only bound by your budget!!!

Wishing you much luck as you get going!

14A build

Hi BAR good luck on the build. I?m waiting for engine and panel to be built hopefully early summer. Had the opportunity to go help another 14 builder , Rick Meyer from Iowa. It was a lot of fun going back Thur the plans and getting him started on his build. We completed his vert. Stab. In a day and a half so he?s on his way. Enjoy the build, mine has been a lot of fun.

Welcome! The -14A is a great kit and goes together very easily. As a first-timer, just follow the manual, don't deviate much (if at all) from the instructions, and you'll be amazed at the results.

I've enjoyed most of my build (there are always frustrating parts - just walk away when you need to do something else for awhile) and am now at the other end of the process. My inspection is scheduled in 19 days and I'm running through a variety of finish-up tasks.

It may not yet be obvious, but you've joined an absolutely first-rate fraternity. The camaraderie and friendships formed in the RV community are the best part of the experience. Again, welcome.

Welcome! Since you?re in KY, I assume you?re doing the class at Synergy South in Newnan, GA. Mine is one of the three 14As down there. The empennage class is excellent and you?ll be amazed at how much you can accomplish in 2 weeks. Just got back from there last night. Putting the final touches on the fuselage and waiting for the finish kit to arrive (order everything sooner than you think you?ll need it).
One of the afternoons after class, swing down to Falcon Field (KFFC) and check out the Falcon RV Squadron. Great group of over 50 RV owners. Odds are there will be half a dozen RVs flying on any given afternoon, often in formation.

Thanks for the warm welcomes !

Was able to get the rear spar doubler in the VS riveted up which includes the rudder hinges. I used the pneumatic rivet squeezer for this and basically got good results. These things have a hair trigger ! i would try and slowly extend the piston out until both end of the rivet were met, and then after i was satisfied with position depress all the way. Got the job with no drill outs but I?m sure my technique will improve. My shop heads are on the larger side of acceptable, but i think i would rather have that than over-squeezed. Of course, perfect would always work.... Next step - dimpling everything ;)

Hope to get better each day !

Back