What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

aft gear brace - 5qty 4-5 skin rivets

coffeeguy

Well Known Member
I'm at the point of joining the front fuselage together. Not the big join with the tailcone. There are 5 3/8" rivets on each side that go thru the aft gear brace into the skin that weren't riveted earlier (page 26-13). When did everyone rivet them?

Page 29-03 has you installing the gear brace U-01402 and tightening down the bolts. Then next page has you installing the rest of the rivets in the area, but those 5 are under the U-01402 gear brace.

When did you install those rivets? I'm thinking after fitting and clecoing the 1485 side braces, etc. I looked, but can't find when those 5 per side are explicitly called out, except too late. Probably overthinking this, but this seems to be a hole in the build order that is listed in the plans. That, or I am overlooking something, been there and done that a time or two.

Hi Turner.
That's what I saw too. I'm looking at it again and I have the same problem on the front of the brace. It calls for rivets after the brace is installed and tightened down, but there is no access to buck the rivets after it's installed. I guess it's just one of those things to consider. Step 8 calls for removal of bolts, but not the whole brace, but I guess that must be inferred.

Just didn't want to get too far down the rat hole and have to drill myself out!

Understood - don't miss the nutplates that get done here too - the gear brace is in the way of those as well.

Back