What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Possible scam attempt

Thierry A

Sponsor
There was a post with a couple of items for sale and I was interested in one so I replied second in line since someone had already said they would take the item. In addition I sent the OP a PM.

The following day a I received a PM from an altogether different person under the user name "salesrcplanes" that read -

Not sure if you got one to buy as i have one for sale at $350 shipped

Payment - cashapp and Ebay payment

Hoping to hear from you

Looking at the profile there were all kinds of red flags for me but I decided to play a long and responded asking for email address and phone number so we could discuss.....

Well as expected no response.

[ed. That account has been banned and locked down. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Scam?

That is exactly the modus operandi of the scammer that got me, stupid!! Apparently he sits by and sees someone wanting something, that is sold or has interest, then pops up and says he just happens to have one for less. I was dumb enough to fall for it and he got me for $400.
Ed

I got an email from that same address about a weeks ago, after agreeing to buy a radio on vansairforce.

It was from "ebaygift Payment" [email protected].
The content of the email was simply: "$500"

Definitely some sort of scam or phishing scheme.

Scam with a different twist

A few weeks ago I placed an item up for sale on this site. I stated I would only ship within the USA. Had a guy from Australia pester me again and again. I told him if he had a friend here in the USA I would ship it to that friend and I would only take a personal check and wait for it to clear before sending the item. He wrote back saying he had a friend in California but he wasn't doing anything by mail because of covid19. Then his next email said he looked up my city and by sheer coincidence had a friend the next city over. I said, Great then I can take the item to your friend and he can pay me cash. And once again the response was well he isn't up for meeting me because of covid 19. Amazing.

[ed. Keep track of the username ID of anybody on the site that reaches out like that. I can ban their account. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back