What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tosten Grip PTT

JRV

I am using Tosten grips.

The Grip wiring diagram has a wire from the trigger & each of the other buttons, and a common wire.

The common wire will need to go to go to ground (Earth) for use with the other buttons.

We understood for the ptt it is best to run the 2 wires from the mic jack, straight to either side of the ptt switch, NOT to go to the aircraft ground.

To clarify we run the wire from the tip of the mic jack to one side of grip trigger switch, - No problem we can do that, (Yellow wire on Tosten grip wiring diagram)
but we then want to run the wire from the MIC jack barrel to the other side of the PTT sw ( White wire - Common) . This common wire will however also have to go to ground to provide functionality on the other switches on the grip.

Is this ok?

I am using a common earthing block on the cockpit side of the firewall.

Guidance anyone please?

Thanks

Just run the tip PTT wire to the trigger switch; and the grip common wire to your ground block. There is no reason for the PTT ground current to go thru the mike lo or ground wire, this is a d.c. signal so no need for shielding.

Agree with Bob. Stick with the manufacturer's wiring diagram.

The PTT circuit is a dc voltage that places the transceiver into "transmit" mode. It is not an audio circuit.

Toten CS-8 PTT on PDA360EX

I'm reserecting this onld thread because the PDA360EX diagram clearly wants to keep the PTT circuit isolated. And of course the MIC jack itself is isolated.

So I have a 2 part question.

1. Experience of those with PDA360EX using the Tosten CS-8 PTT trigger switch (I'm being specific because of the common lead).

2. Anyone cracked open the Tosten grip to bring out both leads from the trigger switch. Tosten appears to be unresponsive and doesn't provide any direct contact info. I have asked on their web question submission.

Thanks for the info

I think you?re concerned over nothing. The manual shows wiring for a mike jack which is also wired for a PTT switch. Most of us wouldn?t even wire the PTT line to the mike jack. Instead, wire the PTT line (pin 34 for the pilot) directly to the grip?s trigger switch. Connect the grip?s common ground wire to any convenient ground, or, slightly better, to your single point ground buss. This is a dc circuit and shouldn?t need an isolated ground. If in doubt, call PS and confirm.

Going by the what the manufacturer says ...

I think you?re concerned over nothing. The manual shows wiring for a mike jack which is also wired for a PTT switch. Most of us wouldn?t even wire the PTT line to the mike jack. Instead, wire the PTT line (pin 34 for the pilot) directly to the grip?s trigger switch. Connect the grip?s common ground wire to any convenient ground, or, slightly better, to your single point ground buss. This is a dc circuit and shouldn?t need an isolated ground. If in doubt, call PS and confirm.

Hi Bob. I was in touch with PSE. Their take is that they just don't know if it will work properly because there will be a potential diff. It's not meant to be grounded. But to further that, the harness was made by ACS and they made it correctly, as per the PSE diagram which takes the 2 leads off the jack.

You are right, I may be worying about nothing but I prefer to do things as a vendor states if I can.

Thanks

I faced this question and just so you know, on request, Tosten will wire the extra ground for the PTT. If you make the request when you order the grips, I don?t think there was even an extra charge.
PS engineering definitely doesn?t want the PTT to be grounded for EMI reasons, but as some have said it may work. Why not wire the Audio Panel the way the manufacturer wanted it?

anyone cracked open the Tosten?

I faced this question and just so you know, on request, Tosten will wire the extra ground for the PTT. If you make the request when you order the grips, I don?t think there was even an extra charge.
PS engineering definitely doesn?t want the PTT to be grounded for EMI reasons, but as some have said it may work. Why not wire the Audio Panel the way the manufacturer wanted it?

I've had the 2 grips for a while and it was a question that had never occured to me at the time. It's the only thing that really asks for a separate lead.
So it may work, but ...
Has anyone cracked open a Tosten grip to add the lead? As yet Tosten is unresponsive.

Thanks.

I've had the 2 grips for a while and it was a question that had never occured to me at the time. It's the only thing that really asks for a separate lead.
So it may work, but ...
Has anyone cracked open a Tosten grip to add the lead? As yet Tosten is unresponsive.

Thanks.

I opened my older grips to add the trigger return and it worked well. However when upgrading to newer grips to add some buttons, I was informed that the switches are now board mounted so harder to modify. They offered to provide the extra trigger switch out which they did. Great service for me.

I believe tying the ground side of the PTT to the audio common is just another "belt-and-suspenders technique to keep from creating a ground loop in the mic-audio circuit when you're wiring up an intercom to a certified aircraft fitted with a hand mic that relies on the keyline being wired through the mic jack. If your keyline isn't wired through the mic jack, you eliminate that possible ground loop.

The downside is that if your intercom doesn't have pilot bypass feature, and the intercom fails, you may not be able to transmit. That's why Sigtronics and Flightcom tell you to keep the hand mic when you retrofit one of their intercoms to older airplanes.

I faced this question and just so you know, on request, Tosten will wire the extra ground for the PTT.
I bet all they're doing is adding a second wire to the same terminal in the grip, so you can run it to your Mike PTT Low signal and feel happy about it. If you put a meter across the two lines (Mike PTT Low and Tosten common ground), I bet you'll find they are connected.

Otherwise, they would have to use a DPST switch for the trigger, when right now they can use an SPST. I doubt they're putting special switches in on request.

Otherwise, they would have to use a DPST switch for the trigger, when right now they can use an SPST. I doubt they're putting special switches in on request.

??? All they?re doing is disconnecting the existing wire from one side of the switch (the side that goes to ground) and attaching a new, second wire, that you can connect to the audio low.

Back