What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alaska highway

texdog

Well Known Member
Anyone going up the Alaska Highway late May, early June? We can do it alone, but I think it's safer with other airplanes. We will leave from Cutbank, Mt. date is flexible. RV 6 A with two pilots, my wife and me.

Anyone going up the Alaska Highway late May, early June? We can do it alone, but I think it's safer with other airplanes. We will leave from Cutbank, Mt. date is flexible. RV 6 A with two pilots, my wife and me.

I am going Fred. Email me to coordinate if you wish. I will have a copilot to PANC and I don't plan any bush-like strips.

I was intending to go in July but might be able to move the trip up if you guys want an RV-8 tagging along.

I’ve been thinking about that. I’ve got an 8 with wheel pants. Can we do good strips? Also my wife would come, so I couldn’t rough it too much.

Last edited:
Highway

There are lots of paved strips and the majority of village strips (generally gravel) are just fine with wheel pants. Off airport or very small villages can be another story. When taxiing use minimum power and avoid sudden bursts...during take off advance slowly and keep the tail down as you want to maximize prop clearance. Normal gravel strip techniques. If you need assistance when in the Anchorage area let me know.

Alaska Highway

Burke,

Thank you, I think we are going to get this done. I've done some work on getting my Garmin working correctly and making the logistics work for us. I think we are going last week of May and spend 2 to 3 weeks in Alaska. I followed a bald eagle from Casper, Wy. to north of Slave Lake once and this should be much easier.

Last week of May, early June; be sure to bring a warm jacket and gloves. Can still be a little cool around that time!

I flew my -6 up on Memorial Day last year and the temp was mid 40's (F) with wind, rained every other day here on the Kenai Peninsula s well... Temp under the clouds dodging rain had it down to upper 30's this was at 2000 AGL.

If you like to fish, early run Kings will be going on down here on the Peninsula. Halibut charters in full swing on the salt water as well.

Welcome to contact me, if you want! Send a PM and we can exchange info.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

We're headed north, Fred, but likely mid-May as I'm basically cheap (except avgas, beer, and chocolate) and car rental and lodging prices shoot straight up after that. I absolutely will not spend $200/day for a Corolla. Where in AK do you intend visiting? We might rendezvous as more westerly routes are likely for us as we've a daughter in Juneau.

What happened with Matt's 696 adventure?

John Siebold

Count me in for some adventures also!

I'm planning on leaving in late June and coming back in 4-6 weeks.

If you guys want to do a group text chat, shoot me a pm with your cell number and I will put one together.

That might be the best way to stay connected this summer as well.

:cool: CJ

As usual, we will be in residence at our cabin in Atlin BC from around June 1 through September 1. About 50 miles off (S of) the Alaska Highway. Anyone passing through is welcome to stop and visit. Vlad can attest to the semi-primitive accommodations. Email or pm me for further info. And I have a key to the fuel pump there....

Cheers,
Greg

As usual, we will be in residence at our cabin in Atlin BC from around June 1 through September 1. About 50 miles off (S of) the Alaska Highway. Anyone passing through is welcome to stop and visit. Vlad can attest to the semi-primitive accommodations. Email or pm me for further info. And I have a key to the fuel pump there....

Cheers,
Greg

A king size bed and a running water in the cabinette is a semi-primitive? In this part of the world it's a 5-star accommodation Greg. Did I mention it's free and comes with a healthy breakfast? Look what I got in Russia as a transient for a mighty $40 and no borsch. :D

Can anyone confirm that I/we do NOT need 12? N numbers for this trip through Canada?

Seems to me that we are fine with 3????

:confused: CJ

Can anyone confirm that I/we do NOT need 12? N numbers for this trip through Canada?

Here is what AOPA has to say about the 12" numbers in the USA.

I am not an expert on Canada but when I flew the Alaska Highway to Alaska and back, Transport Canada had the same requirements at the USA so the 12" numbers were NOT necessary to cross Canada from the lower 48 into Alaska. Since there are some areas in Alaska that are an ADIZ, IF you want to fly in them then you may need 12" numbers.

Alcan, try again

I'm flying my RV6A and meeting my neighbor in Cutbank, Mt May 15 to go up the Alcan Highway to Anchorage. He is flying a Grumman Tiger, so it will be slower to Anchorage. If someone wants to fly back with my wife and I sometime early June, we can discuss it. We will be coming back to Fredericksburg, Tx.

PM ME

Alaska via the highway

Having done that trip in 2017 I recommend stopping at Toad River and taking Greg up on his offer although he is limited in overnight accommodations. Greg was a big help when I had to "bust" into and unlock my canopy. Enjoyable stop, check with Greg on date you plan to be there.

Anchorage is a good anchor for jumping off to other locations but remember most of the "neat" places to visit are gravel strips. I flew my RV6 with wheel pants and they're still in one piece; however, there may be a few nicks in the paint on the bottom side so you don't see them.

This year a small group is going to Yellowknife NWT for the midnightsunflyin.com running from July 12-14. The weather is much better up north in July - August so you might want to revise the time you go. And if you want to change your destination to Yellowknife (home of Buffalo Airways), let me know.

Dragon Master

It's Customs coming back into the US that requires12" numbers so take some water color paint and put it on just before you come back to the USA.:)
One other thing, Canada does not recognize basic med "medical". You need at least a 3rd class unless it has change in the last couple of months.

It's Customs coming back into the US that requires12" numbers so take some water color paint and put it on just before you come back to the USA.:)
One other thing, Canada does not recognize basic med "medical". You need at least a 3rd class unless it has change in the last couple of months.

DM, Yes, I went last year. Great trip and I plan on going again. This year however, I want to do the contiguous US with a stop in Las Vegas. I see that you are there. Any tips or suggestions?

:) CJ

Alcan highway

I'm looking for someone returning to Montana from Alaska the first or second week of June. I'm going up much earlier, but would like some company returning.

Food supply

What is the easiest and smallest way to supply 7 days of food for two people through Canada and Alaska? I would appreciate any ideas.
Thanks

Grab a box of military rations. Hard to beat in weight, easiness to prepare and calories. Even tastes ok when you are hungry :D

I'm looking for someone returning to Montana from Alaska the first or second week of June. I'm going up much earlier, but would like some company returning.

I'm heading to Idaho on May 24/25 2019. Plan to fly my favorite route, the Coastal Mtns....

Vlad, might have a contact for you on the floats. Lives here on the Kenai Peninsula, my AP/IA Dale is going to get me his contact info. This guy has installed and tested on several different aircraft, 1st time type installs. Jim Harden (not sure of the spelling: given just a name) sounds like he is the guy that can help you.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
What is the easiest and smallest way to supply 7 days of food for two people through Canada and Alaska? I would appreciate any ideas.
Thanks

Go to a sportings good store: Mountain House has many different meals available, they even have 5-gal bucket size with over weeks worth of meals, just need hot water for hot meal.

Vlad is correct, look for a case of MRE's. Lots of calories and last long time, come with a few goodies as well, coffee, hot coca, salt/pepper, toilet paper, to name a few.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Back