What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-10

mike, congats, any ideas for paint?

met hugo and sonya with there rv-10 from lantana today at indian hammock flyin.

img0365s.jpg

Whatever she comes up with.

mike, congats, any ideas for paint?

Yep, basic white, with metallic burgundy and metallic smoke gray seperated by a thin gold line.

Colors will start at leading edge/root, "S" curve to TE at tip, getting wider as they go.

Fuse, same colors start at lower cowl, "S" curve over wing, down under "N" numbers, and back up to rudder.

Or something like that;)

The paint is all in my wife's ballpark.

All done

Not painted yet, but it is done. Got the airworthiness inspection yesterday. Looks like first flight will be Saturday if the weather permits.

Eric
N518RV

15623398514d508ab8e3220.jpg

Fresh out of the paint shop

Just yesterday (Mar. 7, 2011) I brought the airplane home from the paint shop. After 90 hours of flying around with a pink cowl and canopy I am really looking forward to taking it to Sun n' Fun later this month to show off a brand new paint job.

Today was a beautiful day here in South Western Ontario so I decided to fly to a neighboring uncontrolled airport to take the following pictures.

Image00002.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00001.jpg

Here it is back home in a heated hangar where it will live from now on.

Very nice Ivan, you should be proud. Hoping to make it down to Sun n Fun with ours, see you there.
Ron

What they said!

Beautiful...

We're planning on Wednesday at SnF because Team RV will be doing their thing!

Best,

IT'S A BEAUTY!!

Beautiful paint job!
A very nice balance of upper and lower use of colored paint.
She appears slimmer than she is.
And thank you for posting all those pictures on your website, hope to thank
you in person some day.

Finally Painted

Here is my Freshly Painted RV10 that I am yet to see. Flying out tomorrow to get it. Painted by Grady at Glo Custom. He was a pleasure to work with and produces great results. He is officially international:)

Thanks to Walt as well for the Dynamic Ballancing. I should have a smooth and slick ride for touring the warm south with the family for the next couple of weeks.

I will get some interior shots once I get down there.

Thanks to Grady, Walt and Doug for making this all come together. I won't sleep tonight.

Don't be shy to get more shots doug. [ed. On it! Sched'd for 0900 photo shoot Thursday a.m. dr]
zx01gw.jpg

2cmswg9.jpg

fddqqg.jpg

Last edited:
The pictures don't do it justice Troy, I had lots of folks drooling on it today when I had it over at the shop balancing the prop.

This is one of the nicest 10's I've seen (and lucky me I got to drive it around the ramp :D)

Nice. Doug, be sure you get a shot of the wing treatment. Personally, I like to see how the wings are painted as much as the fuselage.

Finally, all painted and pretty. Now back to some flying and tweaking before heading back overseas in a couple months.

Eric Kallio
N518RV flying 32 hours

16139422444e186b0922ec4.thumb.jpg

Finally, all painted and pretty. Now back to some flying and tweaking before heading back overseas in a couple months.

Eric Kallio
N518RV flying 32 hours

16139422444e186b0922ec4.thumb.jpg

Eric,

Glad you final got it back! But inquiring minds what to see a higher resolution photo. :D

Btw, there is no way I'll be done to make it back done there by Labor Day. Thanksgiving is still a possibility and my current target.

bob

The airplane is not new, but I really like the photos

Our airplane is nearly three years old now, but a friend snapped this photo of Mary (my favorite rivet gun operator) and I leaving the Ringneck Ranch last month. I really like both the photos and thought I would share them. Nice private strip at a friends private pheasant hunting ranch in north central KS, where we met up with friends to celebrate a couple of retirements.

2lacya9.jpg

2u7bypk.jpg

Last edited:
Uh oh. It looks like someone tagged your pretty white plane. You must have left it parked at a tough airport... :D

Seriously, very nice. And a smart idea to pay homage to the help. How did you like operating the -10 off of grass?

I have operated off of several grass strips with no problem. I do some research to make sure that the surface is smooth and the grass is short. I flew into one airport here in central FL where the runway was fine, but the parking area was grass in soft sandy soil. No damage to the wheel pants, but it was really too soft to be taxiing on with the wheel pants installed. I took it to Sun n' Fun two years ago and the parking area there was very soft sand, as well. Again, no problem, but it made me nervous. If I were to take the wheel pants off, I would have no concerns at all about operating off most grass strips. I think if I was going to do it on a regular basis, or wanted to base the airplane on a grass field, I would trim the wheel pants up a bit higher. I imagine that would cost a knot or two, but it would be worth it in that situation.

Nice Pic Dave.

Dave!

Good to see you're enjoying your plane, and that it has held up well on grass. I am slowly progressing through my emp kit and enjoy most every minute of it.. Thanks again for that ride so long ago... Even though it was an expensive one for me. :)

Dave!

Good to see you're enjoying your plane, and that it has held up well on grass. I am slowly progressing through my emp kit and enjoy most every minute of it.. Thanks again for that ride so long ago... Even though it was an expensive one for me. :)

Thanks Mike,
We are still hoping to get to Colorado sometime this fall, so will look forward to visiting with you.

Don't forget us Dave

Hey Dave, look me up when you get to Denver too. We're not far from Mike, hangared at KAPA Centennial. Should be flying once the weather cools off...

Dwight

Bill,

It was a pleasure to meet you at Person County. You have a nice airplane! I trust you got TT back and working. ADS-B yet?

Ted

Beauty!

Dave,
she is a beauty!

I am hard on your heels and about ready to call the DAR.
I'll join the ranks of RV-10 flyers before too long.

Thanks all

Ted, it was great chatting with you too. Yes, I got my TT AP back and it works fine now. Ordered the Navworx ADS-B box but haven't taken delivery of it yet.

First long trip made to Key West - What an unbelievable pleasure.

People keep asking me "how fast does it go" and all I can say is "I don't really know yet... but do you know how nice 10.1 GPH is at 138 knots?"

Sweet!

Well done!

She should do more than 138 knots.

WOT/2300ish/ 40LOP will give about 10.1GPH and about 155TAS and at about 10-20 LOP should do around 160 knots on 10.5 to 10.8GPH.

Nice looking exterior shots, how about some inside?

Thanks for the pic Vlad...

Glad you've been flying too.
More power to everyone who has built at the airport... I spent the last 60 days of the build doing final assembly at a local 'port. Had no idea how many 'distractors' there are at even the quietest airport (KHNZ in my case). There is a great deal of experience there too but requires the same careful editing as the forums.

She does do better than 138 @ 10...

That was my first long leg and it was down at 1,500m. Still learning the LOP procedures so I was keeping the power down at 50%.

Took it up to 9,000ft, leaned to roughly 30F lean of peak and throttled to about 10 gph. At 2600lbs+, I got 145TAS initially and 150 with empty tanks. Still learning and leaning. Hoping to do some injector tuning since my seat mate doesn't really care for any engine roughness... especially over that beautiful Gulfstream water.

Leaning for climb was equally satisfying once I had some understanding of how that could be done. I love having the big fan up front!

Go see Don.

..... Hoping to do some injector tuning since my seat mate doesn't really care for any engine roughness... especially over that beautiful Gulfstream water.

...and when you get ready to balance them, call Don at Airflow performance in Spartanburg and fly up there, instead of mailing injector inserts back 'n forth.

I did and we only flew twice...done..smooth and very close EGT's.

Best bit of time spent and small cost as well.

Best,

Injector tuning

I will do that. Looked into the class but the fall class was cancelled. Probably overkill anyway. Don & Spartanburg it is!

At 2600lbs+, I got 145TAS initially and 150 with empty tanks

Me Thinks you have some issues here, that I know only too well :D

Check your PM's for a skype address so we can talk some time soon and I will help guide you down the path, tather than clog up this thread. Then you can come back and tell everyone all about your triumphs :)

DB :cool:

DSCN0623.jpg

This is a picture of my finished RV-10, which took 3 years and 3 months to build. First flight was November 27, 2010, and we now have approx. 200 hours on it. After I completed the first 40 hours, I talked my wife into learning how to fly. She did all of her flight training in it, and passed her test in August. Now we have to flip a coin to see who will fly left-seat :D

Beautiful, Bob.

You didn't happen to be the CFI, did you?

My wife's considering it as well and I'm a CFI but I don't want to get divorced again:D

Best,

No, I'm not a CFI. She took her instruction with the same CFI that I am using for my instrument training. I had to talk her into it, but after she started flying, she really got enthused.

She must really like you to let you fly it again. I know if Judith wanted to pilot, I would never win the coin flip ... if I knew what was good for me.:D

Nice job.

insurance?

I thought that training a new pilot in a 10 would be cost prohibitive, insurance wise. Are there any restrictions like your wife would have to do her solo stuff in a different plane?

My insurance company didn't have a problem with her training in the 10. The agent was familiar with both her instructor and the airplane, and he found a policy that would cover her. It did cost a bit more, but not too bad. Her CFI thought that it would be best if she learned in the plane that she would be flying, so she did all of her training and solo work in it.

Last edited:
My insurance company didn't have a problem with her training in the 10. The agent was familiar with both her instructor and the airplane, and he found a policy that would cover her. It did cost a bit more, but not too bad. Her CFI thought that it would be best if she learned in the plane that she would be flying, so she did all of her training and solo work in it.

Please share the underwriter of the insurance's name. There have been several that have attempted similiar feats, but turned out to be cost prohibitive. If I recall correctly, it was less expense for Tim to lease a Cherokke for the summer than to pay for a student in his RV-10. If those concerns from the underwriters is behind us, that's fantastic news.

bob

Back