What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Becker Transponder Garmin GDL-82

BobRv4

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed a GDL-82 with a Becker Transponder ATC-4401-1-175?
Did it work for you?
Did you get error code (on the becker) E10?
How did you fix it thanks.
The transponder works fine, until you power up the -82 then it throw a code.

Compatible

I installed a GDL-82 with my Becker 4401. I had no issues. Have you found out what the error code means?

-Andy

Bus

Mine is setup so the GDL-82 is on when I turn on the avionics bus. So it?s already on when the transponder is turned on.

E10

Best I can tell Ground Plane issue.
Did you use one of the recommended transponder antennas?
I'm using the single pole ones, going to try again then may order a new ant if it stills broke.
Thanks

Antenna

I looked up the error code. It says it?s an antenna problem. So it sounds like the transponder doesn?t like something in the cable or antenna. Maybe double check the proper connections for the transponder and antenna output.

I used the blade antenna already installed. I just ran the RG-400 to the GDL-82 and put on a new connector. I don?t know what the model number is for the antenna.

coax

Well, we "think" its fixed need to do the flight test in a few days.
What stop the error code was adding to the length of the RG400 coax (about 18" long) from the transponder to the GDL82. Replaced with about 6' of RG58 with a BNC male adapter to connect the two. Tried all different combos but this was the only one to work. Its now about 6' total length, RG400/connector/RG58. So that's the story now, time will tell......

firewall

The box is mounted against the inside of the firewall. The GPS ant is mounted under engine cowl.

Mounting

Mine is mounted on a center console between the rudder pedals. The GPS antenna is on the glare shield of my tip-up canopy.

-Andy

Recommended transponder antenna with GDL82 installation

I currently have a Rami AV-22 ?stick antenna? connected to my 327 transponder. I don?t see the AV-22 on the Garmin recommended list in the GDL82 Manual (Section 4.4.1). Prior to installing the GDL82, do I need to replace this antenna or will it suffice? Any recommendations if I need to replace are appreciated.

Jim Diehl 7A
Lock Haven, Pa

Passed

I passed on the very first try, now just need to fix my registration issue to get rebate.
The GPS ant is under the cowl with a ten inch dia ground plane. The box is mounted on the inside firewall. The transponder ant is one of the cheap dipole ones, mounted under belly just aft of gear legs. The ant is not on Garmin's list. I would just use the what you got.
I also used 6.5ft rg400 between GPS and box per instructions.
Make sure your registration has a date listed under "MFR DATE" or it will fail the rebate process.
Fyi my ant looks just like your AV22.

Last edited:
Back