What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best pant design

F1 Rocket

Well Known Member
Been thinking about redoing the pants on my Rocket. I have the stock F1 ones on it now but I mounted them low and want to raise them 1/2”-3/4”. Since this means redoing the lower intersection fairings I figure it a good opportunity to make a change if there is a significantly cleaner design. Any recommendations?

I'm using wheel pants from James Aircraft, It was Sam James when I bought them. I assume they still make them.

Been thinking about redoing the pants on my Rocket. I have the stock F1 ones on it now but I mounted them low and want to raise them 1/2?-3/4?. Since this means redoing the lower intersection fairings I figure it a good opportunity to make a change if there is a significantly cleaner design. Any recommendations?

I use the pants provided by Mark Frederick, which I think were from James. However, I wish I had used the Van's pants which provide more room for oversize tires (p380 or Monster Retreads).

V

That is like asking best girlfriend or best wife (not at the same time). :D

You are asking how to make wheel pant to gear leg fairing. Two ways I know of:

1) Sam James method model clay and lay it up in place. The intersection fairing is not attached to anything. He splits it at the rear edge and uses screws to attach to the wheel pants.... (I recall). People get fancy and make a recess on the wheel pants so the intersection fairing lip does not show.

2) The other is mold it in place but bond it to the wheel pants permanently. Split the intersection fairing with the wheel pant halves, so the intersection fairings go with their respective wheel pant half. Optional make a lip on one of the intersection fairings so they overlap and stay flush. You don't need screws to attach intersection fairing.

Last edited:
The pants I have on it now are the Sam James ones which were/are supplied with the F1. Intersection fairings were laid up over clay. What I’m curious about is “if” there has been a cleaner/lower drag pant designed in the 15+ years since I installed the ones I have.

Last edited:
The pants I have on it now are the Sam James ones which were/are supplied with the F1. Intersection fairings were laid up over clay. What I’m curious about is “if” there has been a cleaner/lower drag pant designed in the 15+ years since I installed the ones I have.

The only design that I saw was the revival of the BD-4 closing wheel pants by LoPresti. They were claiming an 8kt gain, but I think that was before flight testing. They went silent on the project and haven’t posted anything about it in a long while. I’m wondering if flight testing revealed a not so significant gain in performance. It does seem like an interesting concept that would be fun to explore.

Am currently installing a James set on a F-1 and finding brake caliper clearance issues and have to bulge them to fit. Wouldn't be an issue with Vans pants.
Speed wise, I doubt you will see a difference between the two.

Am currently installing a James set on a F-1 and finding brake caliper clearance issues and have to bulge them to fit. Wouldn't be an issue with Vans pants.
Speed wise, I doubt you will see a difference between the two.

I installed SJ on N540VF many years ago and didn't find any particular difficulties.

Read all about it:
http://vincesrocket.com/landing gear and related stuff.htm

I sell both styles of pants, Team Rocket or Sam James, so take your pick and drop me a line!

Back