What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

baggage fuel tank

rcarsey

Well Known Member
So I’m building a new fuel tank (12iS), since I have a substantial leak along the forward/lower lap joint, where the top and bottom skins overlap.

I considered fixing it, but by the time I undo enough rivets, clean up all the proseal, etc.. just seems easier and faster to build a new tank. Probably have a better chance of doing it right the 2nd time around.

So, as a separate, offline project, I started to think about basically cutting the old tank in half (chop both sides off it), and turning it into a 10-12 gallon tank ( 60-72lbs).. and using it as a removable tank.. mounted to the baggage floor.

I haven’t thought about an elegant way to fill the tank, or how to transfer fuel to the main tank, or the safest way to mount the tank as to prevent leaks in a crash. I suppose i could use the existing fuel fittings that extend below the baggage floor as the pickup tube, and pump it up to the filler neck of the main tank.

Comments welcome.

So I’m building a new fuel tank (12iS), since I have a substantial leak along the forward/lower lap joint, where the top and bottom skins overlap.

I considered fixing it, but by the time I undo enough rivets, clean up all the proseal, etc.. just seems easier and faster to build a new tank. Probably have a better chance of doing it right the 2nd time around.

So, as a separate, offline project, I started to think about basically cutting the old tank in half (chop both sides off it), and turning it into a 10-12 gallon tank ( 60-72lbs).. and using it as a removable tank.. mounted to the baggage floor.

I haven’t thought about an elegant way to fill the tank, or how to transfer fuel to the main tank, or the safest way to mount the tank as to prevent leaks in a crash. I suppose i could use the existing fuel fittings that extend below the baggage floor as the pickup tube, and pump it up to the filler neck of the main tank.

Comments welcome.

Wonder what is the perpose of adding more fuel? Is it to add more range or to have extra fuel onboard so you don't need to buy 100LL? Are you planing on using synthetic oil and there by can't use 100LL. If it's to add more range, 3-4 hours without stoping is a long time to be up there, now your adding 10 more gals and then your talking 5-8 hours up in the air. Long time to be without a bathroom.

Ahh I'm the type to not mind using the on-board lavatory. It would extend the range, maybe be able to make it back home and use less 100LL.. maybe less frequent oil changes. maybe some time savings of skipping a fuel stop on a long trip. Or maybe allows the use of higher RPM setting/more gph/get there faster.

I haven't really thought that far ahead.. just looking to repurpose these old fuel tank parts so I don't feel like I wasted money!

Is this a E-AB build or a E-LSA?

If it's E-LSA, you need to build it to plans and get it certified and it's Air Worthiness before you can make that modification, after the 5 to 10 hours are flown off.

It's OK to experiment after E-LSA has gotten it's airworthiness certificate.

I have a 7 gallon aux tank in my RV-12 Legacy model. I am finding that being in that plane more than 2 to 2.5 hours requires getting out, stretching legs and a potty break or what ever, before flying some more.

You might just want to buy a pre fabricated Pro Sealed fuel tank from Van's, instead.

Back