What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Basic Med

No Problem

I am 54 and never had a PCP but I am assigned to one by my insurance. So I called and talked to the office lady and explained Basic med to her. I figured if the doctor wouldn't do it then I would pick another PCP. She said it shouldn't be a problem since he also does DOT exams. I wanted to be sure so I sent the AOPA info to her. He reviewed it and said no problem. Have appointment set for July. Sweet!!

Basic Med in Eastern Kentucky

I am a family physician in West Liberty, KY and am happy to do Basic Med exams.

I am employed by a clinic rather than owning my practice. The clinic charge for this type of exam is $50.

West Liberty isn't close to much at all by ground but RV's go pretty fast, so if you don't have closer options and need an excuse for a flight I can help you out.

If you fly in (9I3) I can pick you up at the airport. If you fly an RV you have to let me look it over and ask questions - I am building a -6 SLOOOW build.

Contact me by email to discuss scheduling.

Thanks Kevin

Thanks for letting us know Kevin. Wasn't West Liberty one of the places hit by a tornado some years back?

I am a family physician in West Liberty, KY and am happy to do Basic Med exams.

I am employed by a clinic rather than owning my practice. The clinic charge for this type of exam is $50.

West Liberty isn't close to much at all by ground but RV's go pretty fast, so if you don't have closer options and need an excuse for a flight I can help you out.

If you fly in (9I3) I can pick you up at the airport. If you fly an RV you have to let me look it over and ask questions - I am building a -6 SLOOOW build.

Contact me by email to discuss scheduling.

I wish there were more people like this out west.

If other AME's get on board, this may by one of the better side effects. The ability to to get an exam from an AME without the fear of denial. If it goes well and you know you will pass, then do the 3rd class exam.

How do I go about getting a 3rd class medical or basic med exam... Based here in the SFV, CA... and thinking maybe I should just get Basic Med for a PPL instead of a sport pilot license in my RV-12.

Can I just go in for a Basic Med? I'm 62, BP is good, pulse is good, no heart conditions, no visits to doctors, pretty healthy overall, no prescriptions meds, yet, either.

Anyone that can recommend where I go to get this done, by a good Dr?

Last edited:
How do I go about getting a 3rd class medical or basic med exam... Based here in the SFV, CA... and thinking maybe I should just get Basic Med for a PPL instead of a sport pilot license in my RV-12.

Can I just go in for a Basic Med? I'm 62, BP is good, pulse is good, no heart conditions, no visits to doctors, pretty healthy overall, no prescriptions meds, yet, either.

Anyone that can recommend where I go to get this done, by a good Dr?

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/

3rd class

You have to get at least one FAA 3rd class medical before you can switch to Basic Med. So go to an AME and get a medical.

You have to get at least one FAA 3rd class medical before you can switch to Basic Med. So go to an AME and get a medical.

Better yet, would be to go have a general physical done by a Dr. who is an AME and then as part of that physical have a discussion to confirm whether you meet all of the requirements for a 3rd class. If so, then go ahead with doing what every he would require, to turn that physical into a 3rd class FAA exam.

Reason is, that if you fail an official 3rd class exam, you have then fallen down a rabbit hole that in some circumstances can be very hard to climb out of.

If you are absolutely sure of your health regarding passing a 3rd class, then skip it and go right to the exam. When it is about to expire in two years, go get a basic med exam (good for 4 years with a biannual knowledge retest) and never look back.

Better yet, would be to go have a general physical done by a Dr. who is an AME and then as part of that physical have a discussion to confirm whether you meet all of the requirements for a 3rd class. If so, then go ahead with doing what every he would require, to turn that physical into a 3rd class FAA exam.

Reason is, that if you fail an official 3rd class exam, you have then fallen down a rabbit hole that in some circumstances can be very hard to climb out of.

If you are absolutely sure of your health regarding passing a 3rd class, then skip it and go right to the exam. When it is about to expire in two years, go get a basic med exam (good for 4 years with a biannual knowledge retest) and never look back.
Rabbit hole barely begins to describe the possibilities. I absolutely agree with NOT filling out MedExpress and making an appointment with an AME for a "consultation" and him/her advise you on whether or not there is something...anything...in your medical history that is likely get the attention of the FAA Aeromedical folks and he/she can help steer you around the process. I have patients that went blindly charging into the process and wound up in an expensive and very cumbersome journey based on things like DUI's 20 years ago, history of depression, SSRI use, long past history of ADHD, etc. You have to be very careful. The FAA is made up of serious folks, and the "H" in FAA is for "Happy".

Back