What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Deer Valley Airport, AZ

crewdog434

Anyone with knowledge on rental hangar conditions at (KDVT) Deer Valley Airport in Arizona.
Our RV9 is currently hangared at a different airport in the Phoenix area. The amount of dust that accumulates on EVERYTHING is heartbreaking and irritating. I realize the desert environment is much different than my days living in the Midwest, but c’mon.
Just curious if it’s worth the hassle of going on a wait list at Deer Valley (which is closer to us) if the same issue occurs there.
Are the hangars tighter? Less dusty?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Safe flying!

Hi, Jerry,

My girlfriend has her CJ-6 at DVT, and I'll be basing my RV out of CHD. I also fly out of FFZ. Your plight is a universal problem here in the valley. You can mitigate it with better sealing under the doors.

My thought is base the airplane where it is most convenient to you.

More importantly, get some swamp coolers!

TIP: Get some cheap a/c filters and cover the hangar vents. The majority of the dust from our dust storms come in through the dang vents. Hope this helps.

I'am at DVT, yes the dust sucked!
Here is what I did
Fully sealed the back vent off with clear plastic
Put two pieces of 1/2, 20ft long rebar in the bottom door seal. (home depot, cheap)
It's not perfect but its 75% better.

Here's another Arizona dust and sand trick. I lay down a garden hose just inside the rubber door seal, running the full width of the hangar. Any dust that blows under the door seal gets stopped by the garden hose.

Looking on the bright side, there's no corrosion here :)

Put two pieces of 1/2, 20ft long rebar in the bottom door seal.

I always thought of filling the bottom door seal with those pool noodle toys (end-to-end) when they are $1.00 each at the dollar store..... but I love the idea of the weight from the rebar. Maybe run the rebar down the hole in the middle of the pool noodle, so you get the bulk and the weight.

A&P wanted

hey gang,

We need an a&P at Deer Valley...recommendations?
Need a C-150 looked at
Thanks,
Don
RV7
RV6a

Back