What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Transponder update @ OSH

Yes

Usually they do it while you wait at the Garmin tent or sometimes they ask that you drop it after and pick it up later in the day, but Yes, they do updates during OSH

Hello,

Yes, we will be doing free transponder software updates for non-certified aircraft at Oshkosh again this year.

We look forward to seeing you there.

Thanks,
Steve

How can I tell if my GTX330ES needs an update or not?

Thanks,

Ed
Hello Ed,

The latest software for GTX 23ES/33ES/330ES transponders is V8.04.

V8.04 for GTX 23ES/33ES/330ES Transponders

The latest version for GTX 35R/45R/335R/335/345R/345 is V2.52.

V2.52 for GTX 35R/45R/335R/335/345 Transponders

Just for reference, at Oshkosh 2018 we were installing these software upgrades:

GTX 23ES/33ES/330/330ES: V8.04 (same software as this year)

GTX 35R/45R/335/335R/345/345R: V2.12

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
What does the update do and in case I don't bring the airplane to Oshkosh, how interested should I be in the update?

Thanks Steve. Looks as though, anyone with a GTX 23ES/33ES/330ES who was able to take advantage of this last year won't need to get an updae again this year.

What does the update do and in case I don't bring the airplane to Oshkosh, how interested should I be in the update?
The links that Steve provided should answr this.

GDL-39

Steve,

Will Garmin also update my GDL-39 to the latest firmware revision at Oshkosh?

Steve

Steve,

Will Garmin also update my GDL-39 to the latest firmware revision at Oshkosh?

Steve
Hello Steve,

The GDL 39 software is automatically updated by whatever display device is being used with it to match the vintage of the display device software.

Are you sure your GDL 39 software is out-of-date?

You can contact us at [email protected] if you would like assistance.

Thanks,
Steve

Hey Steve, is there a link where I can get the "What's Changed" info for the 345? I have version 2.02

Alton
Hello Alton,

The only way I know to accomplish this is to go through the change list in the 5 service bulletins which have been released since your 2016 V2.02 software was installed.

You just need to get your software updated to take advantage of the many improvements, including some in the built-in ADS-B receiver, (now at V3.12) which is also included in the V2.52/V3.12 software update.

Thanks,
Steve

Update available for my 696?
Hello William,

Yes, we will be providing software updates for Garmin portables at Oshkosh as well. The latest software for the GPSMAP 695/696 is V7.80.

If you would like to try updating the unit yourself before the trip, you can click on this link, and follow the instructions to download and upgrade the software.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello William,

Yes, we will be providing software updates for Garmin portables at Oshkosh as well. The latest software for the GPSMAP 695/696 is V7.80.

If you would like to try updating the unit yourself before the trip, you can click on this link, and follow the instructions to download and upgrade the software.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve, downloaded the update package, plugged the 696 into the computer and ran the update. Got the "Update successful" message, but now the 696 will not turn back on. Argh.

Hi Steve, downloaded the update package, plugged the 696 into the computer and ran the update. Got the "Update successful" message, but now the 696 will not turn back on. Argh.
Hello William,

It is probably best to contact us by phone or email shown below and we can work through this issue with you.

You could quickly try removing the battery for a few minutes and/or holding down the power button until it restarts and powers up.

Another possibility is that the backlight is set so dim that you can't see it operating in the daylight. If this is the case, a couple of taps of the power button should set it to full bright.

Thanks,
Steve

Will any software updates be available for the 795? If my GTX327 was updated last year at OSH will it need to be updated this year?

Hello William,

It is probably best to contact us by phone or email shown below and we can work through this issue with you.

You could quickly try removing the battery for a few minutes and/or holding down the power button until it restarts and powers up.

Another possibility is that the backlight is set so dim that you can't see it operating in the daylight. If this is the case, a couple of taps of the power button should set it to full bright.

Thanks,
Steve

Well, after "resting" for a couple of hours, it came right on. Thanks for the quick reply; seems all good now.

Back