What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder bottom under tension

A10Degen

I'm New Here
I'm on the rudder, its going as well as one can hope. Got to the R-710 and didn't trim all the way to avoid min distance issues, went to about halfway down the notch, seems to fit fine. The issues that I'm finding is in order to make the bottom rib line up nicely with the bottom row of holes on the skin, while lining up with the vert spar, the R-710 tracks forward on the bottom rib as shown by the 3 holes being off. If I cleco those holes and "force" the line up, the vertical spar twists slightly and will be under some tension when the skins are riveted/cleco'd on.

Let me know if I'm being a knuckledragger about this, cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_6414.jpg
    IMG_6414.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_6413.jpg
    IMG_6413.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_6412.jpg
    IMG_6412.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 356
The structure acts in a unified manner after all the sheet metal panels are riveted together. The stress skin acts in concert with the vertical spar, the lower rib, and everything else. If you cleco only one side of the rudder skin then there is an imbalance load somewhere. At least try to bend the rudder skin and cleco all the pieces to see if the part are still straight. I find that the Vans pre-punch kits are so precise that when parts didn't fit, I was doing something wrong.

PHATRV, I have that. It works ok but was wondering if there was some other way to dimple in tight spaces with a bit more force? Is there something pneumatic? Thanks Mike

I'm on the rudder, its going as well as one can hope. Got to the R-710 and didn't trim all the way to avoid min distance issues, went to about halfway down the notch, seems to fit fine. The issues that I'm finding is in order to make the bottom rib line up nicely with the bottom row of holes on the skin, while lining up with the vert spar, the R-710 tracks forward on the bottom rib as shown by the 3 holes being off. If I cleco those holes and "force" the line up, the vertical spar twists slightly and will be under some tension when the skins are riveted/cleco'd on.

Let me know if I'm being a knuckledragger about this, cheers.

Did you chamfer the edges of the R-710 to clear the radius of the rib?

Back