What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Options and Modifications

asw20c

Well Known Member
I'm ordering my engine this week to take advantage of Van's discounts. I spoke briefly with Jeff Schans of Lycoming to try and get a better understanding of the options and implications of my choices first.
I plan on ordering a Thunderbolt, and I see there is now an EXP119 optional 390 that adds an extra 5hp. Jeff said that unless you are comfortable going off-plans and making modifications to the standard design that the Airflow Performance and EXP119 cold air induction options should be avoided since they both require modification. If modification means replacing one part with another, I'm ok with that. If it means fabricating brackets and fiberglass work then I will think twice about choosing that option. Does anyone have any experience with these options and the modifications that are required if you go with them?
And lastly, Van's propeller page doesn't list the IO390 so I don't have any idea which prop to select. I've had some experience with various props on my Cessna 180 and have discovered that getting the engine/prop combination right is critically important to wringing out as much horsepower as possible. I'm not going to go with composite or 3-blade because they are just too expensive. Beyond that I'm all ears if you guys have figured this out already.

Back