What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

filling Antenna Question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
So there is a hole under fuselage for an antenna--transponder. I put my transponder antenna in the tail or the plane.

What is the best way to cover the large hole?

I used that hole for my transponder and needed to cover the one in the tail.

I made a "sandwich" of two pieces of aluminum (shaped similar to the patch on the bottom skin used for the service bulletin) big enough to cover all three holes, with holes centered on the two outboard holes: both holes dimpled and nutplates on the inboard holes so that it can easily be removed any time in the future.

I put the ADSB “fin” antenna under the baggage compartment and closed the old transponder hole under the tail with a dummy transponder “stick” antenna. Nothing attached to the one under the tail, but it looks sorta normal. :rolleyes:

Lots of ways to do it. If it's a big hole, then a dime-dollar patch would be a common fix. Finish by painting to match and it will blend right in, or use filler before paint to truly hide it.

If you just want to fill the hole and it's not structural, you can use a tinnerman washer for a hole up to about 1/2"

I simply taped closed. It is not a big hole and there more than just that one, although smaller holes.

I taped the aft hole with 220 MPH rated duct tape. I figure it must be rated that high since it is still there. When my paint job is done I’ll put something else there. Might install a 2M antenna and radio.

The transponder is best put in the mid cabin hole to keep antenna cable length shorter. The combined adsb in and out units with transponder weren’t around when the design was made I think.

Last edited:
Back