What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do I jack up my RV-4

N605RV

OK, another first for me since buying my RV4 last year. I need to service the wheel bearings, put on a new rotor etc. but, how do I jack it up? Advice?
N605RV in Boulder

There should be provisions for tie down rings under the wing. Mine are 3/8" standard thread. These are also jacking points. On the other end, the axles are hollow. There is a clever tool that fits into the axle and allows for jacking. The previous owner of mine furnished one. It allows for jacking up the axles then has enough room to slide the wheel over and then put a jack stand under the axle. You could probable accomplish the same thing with a piece of pipe the proper size.

3/4" water pipe in axels

This is what worked on my RV-3:

A scissor jack from a car. Has an indent or notch where the pipe can rest securely (fore/aft).
Approx 12" long 3/4" galvanized pipe.

00) Have as little fuel in the tanks as possible and otherwise lower weight on wheels.
0) Remove wheel pant.
1) Block the other wheel and tail wheel.
2) Remove "nut" from the axle if it's the type with a 1/4" nut plate or thread in the end for the wheel pant.
3) Slide pipe into axle. Put jack under pipe with about 2" clearance to pull the wheel out and allow a 2x4 under the root of the axel. Screw jack up until wheel clears the ground.
4) Pull the wheel out enough to be able to put a 2x4 on a block (4x4s or stack of 2x4s) under the now exposed axle root.
5) Lower and remove the jack.
6) Pull wheel all the way off the axle
7) Raise and lower the jack enough to put a better support under the axle as needed if the wheel will be off for a while.

Install is the reverse.

Perhaps a 2x6 or 2x8 screwed to a 2x6 would be better in step 3. Whatever you have available.

And, of course, be careful not to bump the airplane while the wheel is off. Not recommended in a hurricane or high wind conditions :)

There are other ways. Like a pipe clamp around the gear leg as attack point for a jack. The above was just whet I had laying around.

Finn

With my 6 I would pull the upper cowl, place a strap on the engine mount and use an engine hoist to lift the plane

This is what I have used on my 3 RV’s that had tapered rod landing gear:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/cata...G82Wkj08gPWVGdIBJ1wiz8K3B0_4rTFMaAvGKEALw_wcB

It requires you to modify your wheel mount nut (the big one holding on the wheel). Any basic bottle jack from Harbor Freight will work. You just install the jack piece, jack up the plane on that side With your bottle jack - floor jack works just as well, remove the big nut and slide it out on the jack piece shaft, slide the wheel assembly out on the jack piece shaft, and then let the bottle jack down on two 4X4’s (or equivalent) Onto the axle. Go over to the other side and repeat. Now you have your airplane axles resting on blocks with wheels removed for maintenance, and brake parts exposed for maintenance/removal. The kit includes everything you need to modify the axle nut, with instructions.

I was uncomfortable with jacking my plane on two wing jack stands. I was afraid it could slip off and poke holes in my wings. I know it’s been done thousands of times, but it looked precarious. When I considered the cost of two wing jacks, I decided to go this route.

What I do

Similar to Finnflyer, I actually use a SnapOn 1/2 " breaker bar slid into the axle after removing the nut, and a small floor jack. Lift it, slide wheel assembly onto breaker bar, block of wood under axle. Really only takes a few minutes per side. Plane sits on blocks while repack bearings and whatever else, then reverse process. I typically reinstall the axle nut, tighten hand tight plus a scosh, then roll plane a bit and repeat.

clickkey=5281995"]http://https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/rvjack.php?clickkey=5281995[/URL]

Hopefully the link works.

This is the RV Jack Stand Kit on Aircraft Spruce...it’s your simplest solution to jack your RV4. Just slide the jack stand into your wheel axel, jack up the jack stand with any car jack and slide wood blocks under the gear leg and take the wheel off.

Good luck.

Last edited:
jacking solution

This is what worked on my RV-3:

A scissor jack from a car. Has an indent or notch where the pipe can rest securely (fore/aft).
Approx 12" long 3/4" galvanized pipe.

00) Have as little fuel in the tanks as possible and otherwise lower weight on wheels.
0) Remove wheel pant.
1) Block the other wheel and tail wheel.
2) Remove "nut" from the axle if it's the type with a 1/4" nut plate or thread in the end for the wheel pant.
3) Slide pipe into axle. Put jack under pipe with about 2" clearance to pull the wheel out and allow a 2x4 under the root of the axel. Screw jack up until wheel clears the ground.
4) Pull the wheel out enough to be able to put a 2x4 on a block (4x4s or stack of 2x4s) under the now exposed axle root.
5) Lower and remove the jack.
6) Pull wheel all the way off the axle
7) Raise and lower the jack enough to put a better support under the axle as needed if the wheel will be off for a while.

Install is the reverse.

Perhaps a 2x6 or 2x8 screwed to a 2x6 would be better in step 3. Whatever you have available.

And, of course, be careful not to bump the airplane while the wheel is off. Not recommended in a hurricane or high wind conditions :)

There are other ways. Like a pipe clamp around the gear leg as attack point for a jack. The above was just whet I had laying around.

Finn

Thank you so much, very impressed with the detail and support. I will investigate all the options. Thank you so much.
Mike

Quick but short way

When I had a flat, the response team had big Bubba get under the wing and lift with his legs while the other guy put a dolly under the wheel.

I have always been leary of a long jack under the wing jack point, afraid it would slip off and puncture wing.

Back