What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where's the warning volume adjust on Skyview Classic

NinerBikes

Well Known Member
The ferry that brought my plane back from the east coast had an intermittent problem with the oil pressure electric connection being loose. Somehow, in the process, he reduced the volume of the safety warnings that you hear in your head set.

For the life of me, I can't find it on the Skyview Classic to adjust. Settings for all warnings were turned on, except AOA, with volume adjusted to 100%.

Which then leads me to believe that the Skyview Classic goes through the Garmin SL-40 radio and com somehow to get into my headset, and that perhaps the adjustment is in the Garmin SL-40?

The greetings ""Dynon Skyview" in the british accent, is turned down way too low. Need to get that volume up.

I know, somehow, it would bite me if it was a snake, I'm that close to finding it.

Last edited:
Recent email from Vans

Last month I ferried a new RV12 from Vans to it's new home. The alerts were a bit subdued and I emailed Eric at Vans about it. Here's his response:

"The stall warner volume and the alert volumes, etc can be adjusted in the GTR 200 configuration menu.

With the GTR200 off, press & hold down the small knob as you power the unit on either via the avionics switch or the unit’s power switch. Select Audio Setup with the big dial. AUX Vol 1 controls the stall warner volume (not AOA!) AUX Vol 2 controls the alert volumes."

GRT Sport Legacy low volume

In a similar problem does anyone have a fix for a GRT Sport reduced alert volume? Have searched the menus on setup multiple times but give up in frustration. I’m so afraid I’m going to screw up the settings I already have and not be able to go back and undo a mistake. :eek:
I’m sure the solution is hiding in there somewhere. :D

Last month I ferried a new RV12 from Vans to it's new home. The alerts were a bit subdued and I emailed Eric at Vans about it. Here's his response:

"The stall warner volume and the alert volumes, etc can be adjusted in the GTR 200 configuration menu.

With the GTR200 off, press & hold down the small knob as you power the unit on either via the avionics switch or the unit’s power switch. Select Audio Setup with the big dial. AUX Vol 1 controls the stall warner volume (not AOA!) AUX Vol 2 controls the alert volumes."

That's the best they can come up with????................. so sad!..:mad:

That's the best they can come up with????................. so sad!..:mad:

That’s pretty typical of Garmin, which makes avionics for non-EAB aircraft. They make it non-obvious because they really don’t want pilots who don’t read the instal manual messing around with those menu items.

Is the GARMIN SL-40 the same procedure as the GTR-200 series?

Adjusting Volume is not an "install" manual requisite. I sure as heck didn't need to read the manual to know how to set up or change the volume on any ham radio that I've owned, from Yaesu, icon, Elecraft or made in China Baofeng cheap $25 2 meter band radio. That's a really basic function on any radio, as is mute or squelch.

Not really fond of goodies hidden really deep in menu's that you have to go dig to China to find. Volume control on inputs is as basic as it gets.

Last edited:
Is the GARMIN SL-40 the same procedure as the GTR-200 series?

Adjusting Volume is not an "install" manual requisite. I sure as heck didn't need to read the manual to know how to set up or change the volume on any ham radio that I've owned, from Yaesu, icon, Elecraft or made in China Baofeng cheap $25 2 meter band radio. That's a really basic function on any radio, as is mute or squelch.

Not really fond of goodies hidden really deep in menu's that you have to go dig to China to find. Volume control on inputs is as basic as it gets.

The SL-40 is not at all the same as the GTR-200.

But your Skyview does have volume control of audio volume and you do have an aversion to the IM, and can't find it on the SV, and you didn't follow Newall's suggestion, so here it is:

i-9HvhSvw-L.png

There are many wonderful secrets in the IM. With it, life is good.

Niner-

You mentioned you have a SkyView along with a SL40 .... which is a little confusing because the legacy RV-12's came with a Dynon D180 and the SL40 radio... but there was also an associated Flightcom 403 audio panel that handled the intercom work. In that configuration, the audio stall warning tone is massaged in the audio level section of the main board (see Van's wiring diagram for Dynon D180) and sent to the audio input on the Flightcom 403.

However, if I remember correctly, when Van's began offering the SkyView system, the SL40 and Flightcom 403 were both replaced by the GTR200 radio which has a built-in intercom that actually works quite well and sounds great ... thus eliminating the need for the Flightcom 403.

Since you have the SL40 with the SkyView, that would suggest at some point the Dynon D180 was upgraded to a SkyView by a previous owner and the SL40 was kept. If that is the case, suggest you obtain the wiring instructions for the conversion and trace the stall warning tone so you know where it goes in your configuration.

Another big question is ... do you still have a Flightcom 403 in the panel? If so, I would read up on the Flightcom to see if it has a level adjustments for the audio input on pin 21. If you discover the stall tone and SkyView audio are mixed together, you may find yourself needing to turn up the volume on the audio input at the 403 to make the stall warning louder and then go into the SkyView menu to turn down the audio so things are balanced to your liking. As Tony pointed out in the previous post, the SkyView has an audio test in the menu selection ... so you can test the Skyview audio levels on the ground and adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
My avionics are unique, probably one of the first 40 RV-12's that started build as being set up for the Dynon D180, but a "conversion" kit was made by Van's to use the existing wiring and also install a Dynon Skyview, later renamed a "Skyview Classic"

So it is some sort of hybrid version.

I will just call Van's during the week and hopefully get the answer on how to go about it, since there aren't many avionics builds just like mine.

Niner-

You mentioned you have a SkyView along with a SL40 .... which is a little confusing because the legacy RV-12's came with a Dynon D180 and the SL40 radio... but there was also an associated Flightcom 403 audio panel that handled the intercom work. In that configuration, the audio stall warning tone is massaged in the audio level section of the main board (see Van's wiring diagram for Dynon D180) and sent to the audio input on the Flightcom 403.

However, if I remember correctly, when Van's began offering the SkyView system, the SL40 and Flightcom 403 were both replaced by the GTR200 radio which has a built-in intercom that actually works quite well and sounds great ... thus eliminating the need for the Flightcom 403.

Since you have the SL40 with the SkyView, that would suggest at some point the Dynon D180 was upgraded to a SkyView by a previous owner and the SL40 was kept. If that is the case, suggest you obtain the wiring instructions for the conversion and trace the stall warning tone so you know where it goes in your configuration. I also see an "Isolate" and "All" switch. I still faintly hear the Dynon boot up, so I will verify the position of that switch, also.

Another big question is ... do you still have a Flightcom 403 in the panel? If so, I would read up on the Flightcom to see if it has a level adjustments for the audio input on pin 21. If you discover the stall tone and SkyView audio are mixed together, you may find yourself needing to turn up the volume on the audio input at the 403 to make the stall warning louder and then go into the SkyView menu to turn down the audio so things are balanced to your liking. As Tony pointed out in the previous post, the SkyView has an audio test in the menu selection ... so you can test the Skyview audio levels on the ground and adjust accordingly.

I do have a Flightcom 403 in the panel, it is still functional and connected. The stall horn has plenty of volume, and has never changed volume. The Skyviews input, somehow, is being run through something that has the volume backed off... not sure if it's in the SL40 Aux input 1 and Aux input 2, or if they exist on the SL40, even, or how to access them.

The volume on the Skyview portion is what is now inadequate and needs to be increased in volume. Volume settings on the Skyview portion for all alarms was already turned on and volume set to "100" on all alarms present. My plane does not have an AOA meter.

In looking at the Flightcom 403 owners manual, the only input I could see being used is the one labeled "Music" to the Flightcom 403, that may have been used as input from the Dynon Skyview for the audible portion?

http://www.flightcom.net/pdf/403mcManual.pdf

Edit: went and checked settings on plane, all of the settings for voice, for volume are 100%. Settings on Com for Flightcom 403 are set on Com, as without using those settings, I hear nothing from the Dynon Skyview in my headset.

Last edited:
I hesitate to mention this but there is an audio mixer. It is a little hard to get to for any adjustments and the factory settings should work well -- but, since you are not the original builder he may have made adjustments there that are causing the problem you are having. I would talk to him and ask if he made changes.

If you want to read about how the audio mixer is adjusted look at your plans
Pages 42D-29 and 42D-30.

i-ZDxWqdd-X2.png

i-W5xJcvX.png

Last edited:
Builder used to run Litespeed Thirty 3G headsets, which run on batteries and have amplifiers built in to the cable set. They also make an awful whining sound in the Com and radio system. They came with the plane, and I have no love for them, or anything that runs on AA batteries, for that matter.

I bought a Dave Clark H10-13.4 head set, and the volume on this headset is inadequate running just the Dynon Skyview voice activation warnings. Everything else is plenty loud.

I do have a Garmin 200GTR- B that I bought for installation, later. Maybe I will install it sooner, rather than later.

Niner-

Just some thoughts since you are dealing with a hybrid system of sorts.

For starters, if it were me, I would hold off on installing the GTR 200 until such time that there is a clear understanding on the exact routing of the SkyView's audio and where level adjustments are made.

I'm not personally familiar with the conversion you have ... however, if the conversion includes the instillation of the AV-50000A Control Module, Tony has provided you with the location of the mixer volume adjustments and adjusting info. The Skyview's left and right audio volume is adjusted using the EFIS left and EFIS right potentiometers on the AV-50000A control module. As shown, the normal starting point is 3 turns CCW from off .... so for more volume continue turning the potentiometers counter clockwise.

You may want to verify your wiring first ... according to the standard wiring diagram, the Skyview's left and right audio leaves the Skyview on pins 13 & 31 respectfully and enters the AV-50000A Control Module on pins 33 & 16 respectfully on the EFIS connector.

If it were me, prior to adjusting the potentiometers, I would set the volume at the SkyView to something less than 100% like 87 or 90% so you will have some adjustment room later at the SkyView for minor tweaking if desired.

Making the potentiometer adjustments on the AV-50000A Control Module from above with the upper forward fuselage skin removed is tough, but doable and will likely require cutting down an insulated adjusting tool. Another approach is to remove the mounting screws for the SkyView and pull it away from the instrument panel (if it was installed correctly there should be extra slack in the wiring) ... this will allow you somewhat easier access to the potentiometers. It is not fun either way you decide to go.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:
I will try the removal of the Skyview first, for access to the screws.

I have fine bladed ceramic blade screwdrivers I can use for access to the screws on the AV-50000 unit. They are used frequently for adjusting pots on some of the ham radio kits that I like to build, for alignment purposes. Non conductive.

I had to adjust the volume on my stall warning and did it on the AV-50000A. The first time I removed the upper skin and had to un-mount the AV-50000A to tilt it up enough to access the screws. It is very time consuming even with a power screwdriver. The second time I removed the Dynon panel, moved it to the right. The AV50000A adjustment screws are easily accessible this way. Complete job less than 10 minutes.

BTW the trimmer pots are multi turn, as I recall 10 turn, and the adjustment is mostly at one end.

Last edited:
I had to adjust the volume on my stall warning and did it on the AV-50000A. The first time I removed the upper skin and had to un-mount the AV-50000A to tilt it up enough to access the screws. It is very time consuming even with a power screwdriver. The second time I removed the Dynon panel, moved it to the right. The AV50000A adjustment screws are easily accessible this way. Complete job less than 10 minutes.

BTW the trimmer pots are multi turn, as I recall 10 turn, and the adjustment is mostly at one end.

Noted, thanks for the suggestions through the Dynon Panel. Factory setting for the EFIS Volume Left and Right is 3 turns counterclockwise from the clockwise limit. I'll probably add a turn or two counter clockwise and then see where I am at.

Last edited:
The AV-50001 adjustment addressed the problem. Thanks to all who assisted with this mystery.

Last edited:
Back