What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shoutout for EarthX batterys

woodmanrog

Well Known Member
Just some kudos for EarthX batteries and Kathy. I installed the new battery into N199MJ yesterday, What a difference in cranking power. The engine spun over so fast the plane started to taxi. JUST A JOKE! But, the difference is remarkable.
Thank you EarthX.

Did you have to install a new battery box to accommodated the EarthX battery or did it fit in the stock box provided in the kit?

Earthx battery

Do I need a special alternator for the ext900?
I accidentally ordered it (Woops NOT) I just forgot to
See if my alternator would work! Yes ! No a smart man!

Thanks

No need for a special battery box in the RV14 for an EarthX battery. Just a foam shim to fill the empty space and perhaps a little longer screw size for the hold down plate. I think I also am going to install a small computer fan to help keep temps down near the battery. It will be wired to my avionics switch along with the panel fans. I measured the temp of the battery after shut down and it was around 160 degrees Fahrenheit. The instructions say not to let the electronics exceed 170.

Just some kudos for EarthX batteries and Kathy. I installed the new battery into N199MJ yesterday, What a difference in cranking power. The engine spun over so fast the plane started to taxi. JUST A JOKE! But, the difference is remarkable.
Thank you EarthX.

You are very welcome and thank you for your business! We do appreciate it.

EarthX battery question

I currently have an Odessey PC 680 (installed new one about 3 1/2 years ago). I’ve never been satisfied with its cranking power. It’s installed on the firewall in a mount that perfectly fits the battery. Is there an EarthX that fits in this space and how much improvement should I see in cranking power. My alternator is the typical 60 amp alternator.

I currently have an Odessey PC 680 (installed new one about 3 1/2 years ago). I’ve never been satisfied with its cranking power. It’s installed on the firewall in a mount that perfectly fits the battery. Is there an EarthX that fits in this space and how much improvement should I see in cranking power. My alternator is the typical 60 amp alternator.

Click on the EarthX ad on the left; the video and marketing materials answer this and other questions. I also searched for EarthX in this forum and found some informative posts from customers.

I'm not dissatisfied with the Odysseys but the idea of reducing empty weight by 10+ lbs with a drop-in replacement is pretty compelling. Too bad it will also reduce your wallet by an equivalent amount! :D

Hello Jim and thank you for your interest in EarthX. The PC680 has 170CCA and the ETX680 has 320CCA. If you really want to upgrade, the ETX900 is more than double the CCA (400) of the Odyssey and still weighs 10 pounds less. Both the ETX680 and the ETX900 are in the same case size and should work in your battery box UNLESS it is the solid steel, 5 sided box that tapers toward the bottom, this one is too skinny for the EarthX batteries. Please feel free to call me if you have more questions. 1.970.674.8884.

Sure

Except the earthX box flange is a little on the material conservative side and will require one sided plate nuts....been there, done that. It’s not a one hour job, for sure. The earthX does spin the prop with authority. 50A charging current immediately thereafter. I’m not regretting the choice, but it’s a different beast.

Back