What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator Connection

Skot7ac

Hi all,

I’m getting really close to running the overhauled engine on the 8 and have an issue on the alternator connection. The airplane does not have the plug for the back of the alternator, just a wire with a blade connection. The inside of the alternator has three blades it could go on. Does anyone have info on which blade in the alternator is the correct one? I should be able to order the plug from Vans but would like to run the engine before then. Full disclosure, I’m the third owner not the builder. Haven’t figured out how to attach a pic but the three blades in the alternator go top one horizontal, then two vertical ones below parallel to each other.

Gotta love Google:

toyota-alternator-wiring-diagram-wiring-diagram.jpg

Suggest you take the alternator to an Auto Electric Shop & get a plug to match the alternator (there are a number of different shaped plugs). If you just connect a spade connector to the terminal, wouldn't be too many hours till the spade snaps in half!
Also, after you have the right plug installed, imbed the wire & connector in place with red silicone, to further insure they don't break.

This is a common snag. Don't let it happen to you.

Agree with getting a new plug. IF this is a Denso we're dealing with, and it has spades big enough to hold a single crimp terminal, it's probably this one.

If it's the newer style it's this one.

If you do some digging, you might find higher-quality ones than this quick search found.

Back