What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oversized tires

jcaplins

Well Known Member
What's the largest size tires you guys have installed or seen on an RV. I'm talkin' tundra tires.
I realize that the stock setup is suitable for rough fields, but if someone was so inclined to land on a gravel bar and wanted larger tires. Is it acceptable, or unadvisable to go bigger?

I've seen floats, but never tundra tires.

Thanks,
Jeff - wing kit (still)

This is assuming a taildragger, not the tricycle. pics would be nice if available.

I personally was planning on having two sets of main tires when I build. One set will be the regular 6.00x6 (Not the stock 5.00x5) which would fit under the wheelpants. The other would be a set of 8.00x6, with deflectors that mount on the wheelpant bracket to prevent damage to the flap and wings skins from dirt/rocks.

I don't know if this is particularly viable, but I was going to try anyway.

Bumping thread to the top as I have a friend interested in the same thing. Anyone put tundra tires on a 7 or an 8?

check forum archive

There was a long thread some time ago about oversize tires. Some folks go to 600 x 6. There is an intermediate choice that was found to be very successful, a 380 x 150 - 5. Fits on standard 5" rims, ends up about an inch bigger than the 500 x 5.

Both these are more for rough but normal fields. If you truly are looking for gravel bar access, i.e. real tundra tires, you may be the first, but check the archives.

I've got the 380x150's on my -4 and they're perfect for what I do, but said friend of mine is looking for something more super cub style like 26's or 31's. I believe he has 31's on his PA-20, but is looking for something a little faster, (more than 110 mph) but with the same "land where you want" capabilities. (farmer landing in fields)

Standard inner tube?

Will the vans standard inner tubes work with the 380-150-5 tires? If not, what size inner tube should I get?

Cheers,

Bill
RV-8 (flying and in need of new tires)

Yes, use the standard 500 x 5 tubes

Will the vans standard inner tubes work with the 380-150-5 tires? If not, what size inner tube should I get?

Cheers,

Bill
RV-8 (flying and in need of new tires)

Hi Bill, Yes, just use the standard size tubes, 500 x5.00

Jeff,

I have a set of 8.00 x 6 tires that will go on my 9 soon. I plan to use them off-pavement occasionally (northern BC/Yukon/Alaska. Certainly not the same landing capability as a supercub, but should help on the rough spots. Obviously these will not fit inside the fairings, but my plan is to store them with a buddy up north and use them locally. As part of this setup, I also have longer axles (by an inch) to accommodate the larger wheels. I will probably post a thread here when I finally get them installed.

cheers,
greg

Guidence

AC23-17B has some good advise about things to watch out for when installing tundra tires. Both flight characteristics and ground handling checks that should be done. I would encourage anyone who goes for 8.50's or larger to give it a read. I have been in touch with Mike Ice, and the axles he had made are longer to accomodate 6 inch wheels. Those would make it easy to put 26" Goodyears on. This is something I plan to do. Question, are Van's axles 1 and 1/4" or 1 and 1/2"?

Sure.
Just thinking out loud.
But the supercub doesn't fit the other 90% of my expected mission profile.

Ah yes... A guy really should have three airplanes. One that goes fast and hauls people and lots of stuff, one that you can land on gravel bars or put on floats, and one you can throw around the sky. All it takes is money!

Good luck. Would love to hear how it works out.

Andrew,

Axles are 1.25" diameter and does limit your choices somewhat. My legs/axles are the same as Mike's to fit the 6" wheels.

greg

Oversize tires

I actually have a pair of brand new 8.00 tires, wheels, and Matco brakes that I bought to install on a RV. We tried for fun to mount these on my friends -7 and quickly realized the axle wasn?t long enough. I have since been told that you can have a custom axle made that can be bolted on a RV8 gear leg, but on any other RV you need a custom gear leg as the axle is an integral part of the leg.
(please correct me on this if I?m wrong).
I just bought a RV3B but doubt I?ll want these tires on a -3 😬 so my set up may be for sale soon !
I?m definitely putting the 3.80-150 tires on which have been a great improvement to the -4 and -8 I?ve owned in the past... I just had to enlarge the wheel pant holes a bit to fit the tires.

I actually have a pair of brand new 8.00 tires, wheels, and Matco brakes that I bought to install on a RV. We tried for fun to mount these on my friends -7 and quickly realized the axle wasn?t long enough. I have since been told that you can have a custom axle made that can be bolted on a RV8 gear leg, but on any other RV you need a custom gear leg as the axle is an integral part of the leg.
(please correct me on this if I?m wrong).

You're correct. I can fix it. ;)

Heavy duty legs with 1.5" axles, same axle as RV-10, for sale:

Legs%20in%20Box.jpg

Leg%20Drawings.jpg

Back