What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New design axle nut interference with valve stem

cgarella

Has anyone else found the new axle nut to interfere with straight stock valve stem. I have matco wheels with stock Vans tubes. There is less than 3/16 clearance without the valve cap and less than an 1/16 with valve cap on.

No, but have you tried turning the wheel around so the axle nut and the valve stem are on opposite sides?

It's a problem with the old Cleveland wheels, but there is clearance. I chose to switch to the Michelin 90* stem airstop tubes to make it easier to add air.

$175 or there abouts at Spruce, ea.

-Marc

It's a problem with the old Cleveland wheels, but there is clearance. I chose to switch to the Michelin 90* stem airstop tubes to make it easier to add air.

$175 or there abouts at Spruce, ea.

-Marc

Dresser sells an airstop tube with a 90 stem for the 10 size tire at a much lower cost. That was what I used.

Larry

Dresser sells an airstop tube with a 90 stem for the 10 size tire at a much lower cost. That was what I used.

Larry

To each his own. IMHO, you can't do better than Michelin, and the quality is known. Expensive, yes. But I've experienced a flat tire away from home and I spent way more than the cost of a quality tube getting my -10 back flying.

When you are sitting there looking at a wheel pant on the ground, and it's Saturday morning at an airport with no weekend mechanical services....

Nope, nothing but the best for me.

-Marc

Larry

I tried Dresser's version of the airstop tube and they were so cheaply made that when I removed the valve stem, half of it fell down the stem into the tube. (I've never seen or heard of that before.)

When I called Dresser they wouldn't send a replacement until I returned the tube I had. Lesson learned, I went back to Michelin's AirStoppers.

To each his own. IMHO, you can't do better than Michelin, and the quality is known. Expensive, yes. But I've experienced a flat tire away from home and I spent way more than the cost of a quality tube getting my -10 back flying.

When you are sitting there looking at a wheel pant on the ground, and it's Saturday morning at an airport with no weekend mechanical services....

Nope, nothing but the best for me.

-Marc

fair point. I wasn't really pushing for that option, just letting folks know there are options. I have used the goodyear version on my 6 with great success, but don't know if it is available in the size we use on the 10. They were recommended over the michelens by Wilkerson and were only $60 for the RV 6 size.

Based upon your experience I will consider an upgrade in the future.

Last edited:
I tried Dresser's version of the airstop tube and they were so cheaply made that when I removed the valve stem, half of it fell down the stem into the tube. (I've never seen or heard of that before.)

When I called Dresser they wouldn't send a replacement until I returned the tube I had. Lesson learned, I went back to Michelin's AirStoppers.

similar experience. All three of mine leaked at the schrader valve. It was mostly machining debris that wasn't cleaned out. I cleaned them up and installed new schrader valves and they now hold air quite well. It's possible the valves were defective and that was the issue. I didn't bother putting the originals back in to confirm.

Larry

Last edited:
just to muddy the waters a bit, the Desser version of the Airstops are working well for me. No problems and holding air quite nicely.

Erich

The smaller one has a 90 degree stem.
I actually posted what looks to be the straight valve for the mains by mistake..

That's likely the reason for the price increase.

Another +1 for the Desser 15/600-6 AERO CLASSIC TR-87-70 *BUTYL EASY VALVE (GL-1587) SKU: GL-1587B. At $61 (what I paid last time I bought a pair) they are a good value and have not let me down.

Some of the posts on this thread got me thinking about replacing the Dresser tubes with a better quality when I flip the tires around for wear. I looked up the Goodyear Butyl tubes and was surprised to find that the Straight valve version is $75 and the bent valve version is $150. My experience has shown the Goodyears to hold air better than the Dressers.

Can anyone tell me how much clearance there is between the end of the straight valve stem and the original hex axle nut? Wondering if it is worth $150 for the bent stems, but have never seen the straight stems to compare.

Larry

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me how much clearance there is between the end of the straight valve stem and the original hex axle nut? Wondering if it is worth $150 for the bent stems, but have never seen the straight stems to compare.

Larry

When I had the straight-stem tube, I recall that I had to flex the stem just to get the cap on it. I REALLY had to flex the stem to put air in it.

-Marc

Back