What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VM 1000 with P-Mag Tack

Larco

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed a p Mag and connected the tack signal to a VM 1000? The original VM 1000 tach signal was the three wire sensor attached to a slick mag. Want to use two P Mags if it's possible to connect the tack signal wire from P Mag to VM 1000? Thanks

My RV3 has one PMag and one Bendix mag along with a VM1000, so I know it?s possible.

I?m not the builder, so I?m probably not a fantastic source of technical information, but I?d be happy to poke around if I can help. Seems to work well and last a long time (21 years so far).

Thanks Rod. The problem is that my friend installed 2 P Mags. If He had kept one standard mag it would be a non issue.

Thanks Rod. The problem is that my friend installed 2 P Mags. If He had kept one standard mag it would be a non issue.

Oh. Ok. Disregard.

I also remembered that the PMag on my plane is a relatively recent addition. It had a Jeff Rose system for the first 18-ish years of its life.

PMAG tach

The tach output from the PMAG (pin 6 if memory serves) will output a low voltage square wave signal to the VM100. The VM1000 or any other EFIS (Dynon in my case) uses this to display RPM. The good news is you get the RPM even when you have the PMAG off during a run up. The tach signal is output at all times.

Back