What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lubricants, Antisieze, Sealants, Gasket makers, etc...

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
Lubricants, Antisieze, Sealants, Gasket makers, etc...

It seems that each time I have to use one of these, the install instructions call for something I have never used before.

This time, I need Permatex Hylomar HPF or Loctite 518 gasket sealer (or equivalent). God, I love that "or equivalent" part. I'm never sure if one of the things I have are in fact equivalent, or if they differ in some subtle way such that the NTSB will someday say:
The builder inadvertently used Acme sealant #5 instead of natural coyote fat, not knowing the critical difference in 15g counter-clockwise inverted spins. May god rest his soul.

I went through my drawer full of "slippery and sticky stuff" to see if anything was close. Nope!

I did find this reference: https://www.permatex.com/contact/cross-reference/ which seems handy but didn't help much either, other than in ruling things out.

Does anyone have a guide of all the common stuff needed, and what it is needed for, so I don't have to keep buying one tube at a time? Also, maybe something useful when repairs and maintenance come along.

So far, I have:
- Permatex #2 Form-a-gasket #80011 (I don't even remember what I originally used it on)
- Alex Latex Caulk (to seal antennae mounts, no silicone near painted surfaces)
- 3M Fire Barrier Silicone Sealant (for firewall sealing)
- Permatex Aluminum Anti-Seize Lubricant #80078 or #81343 (for many things in the engine, used heavily during Lycoming rebuild school)
- Zap Z-43 Thread Locker Blue or Loctite Blue 242 (temporary)
- Pro Lok Thread Locker Red or Loctite Red 271 (permanent)
- Permatex Ultra Blue RTV Silicone Gasket maker (used inside the rudder)
- Permatex Thread Sealant with PTFE #80632 (used on aluminum AN hose fittings (never use Teflon tape!))
- Aeroshell 6 grease (used as a general grease)
- Permatex Ultra Black#24105 (used to seal coil pack cover plates and throttle body)
- Locktite 518 Gasket sealer (used to prep the gasket between Aux Alternator and engine)
- Mouse Milk (used in exhaust pipe joints)

Also, can anyone tell me why I need to prep the backup alternator gasket, but I didn't need to do that for the cold air sump gasket (or was I supposed to? :eek: )

It seems some people are born with this knowledge, and others like me have to learn the hard way. Has nobody committed this in writing somewhere?

If not, and people reply with tidbits here, I will compile the results, and re-post the result for whoever would like it.

I feel your pain. And not really an answer to your question, but (and it may be a matter of semantics) this:
Permatex Thread Sealant with PTFE #80632 (used on aluminum AN hose fittings (never use Teflon tape!))
doesn't sound right. Are you talking about NPT pipe threads? Hose fittings should have no lube or sealant, unless we were talking about inserting the nipple in the hose (oil or grease).

I feel your pain. And not really an answer to your question, but (and it may be a matter of semantics) this:
Permatex Thread Sealant with PTFE #80632 (used on aluminum AN hose fittings (never use Teflon tape!))
doesn't sound right. Are you talking about NPT pipe threads? Hose fittings should have no lube or sealant, unless we were talking about inserting the nipple in the hose (oil or grease).

Oops, you are correct. NPT threads on brake pedals. Not on AN fittings. Those are no sealant.

Probably more time than you were looking to invest but here's a good tip: Go over to Miramar College and sign up for Lonny Bossleman's A&P class on Recips. He gives (or at least used to) a lecture on all the stuff you just mentioned. It starts out something like this...."This is Hylomar and it is used for sealing mating surfaces. You can use it here, here and here, but don't use it there. This is copper based anti-seize, it is good for yada, yada, yada, but not....". He then squeezes a small amount into a paper cup and passes it around the room so you can look, smell, touch and even taste if you want to. Involving almost all of your senses.

It was the best classroom lecture of the entire program by a guy with about 4 decades of practical A&P experience. I hope he's still teaching it.

Probably more time than you were looking to invest but here's a good tip: Go over to Miramar College and sign up for Lonny Bossleman's A&P class on Recips. He gives (or at least used to) a lecture on all the stuff you just mentioned. It starts out something like this...."This is Hylomar and it is used for sealing mating surfaces. You can use it here, here and here, but don't use it there. This is copper based anti-seize, it is good for yada, yada, yada, but not....". He then squeezes a small amount into a paper cup and passes it around the room so you can look, smell, touch and even taste if you want to. Involving almost all of your senses.

It was the best classroom lecture of the entire program by a guy with about 4 decades of practical A&P experience. I hope he's still teaching it.

Robert - Sounds exactly like something that would be perfect for me. He is still teaching it. I just sent him an email, so I get the course# correct. Thanks!

Awesome. Great news Chuck and glad you were interested. The Miramar A&P program was a wonderful investment for me. I learned a ton loved every minute of it.

The point of "or equivalent" is often because many companys make the same product. Using Permatex version of blue medium strength thread locker instead of Loctites version for example. Many sealants also fall into categorys, for example, there is very little practical difference in most RTV sealants, reguardless of color. The good news nowday is most major comanys like Locktite and Permatex have all their TDS (technical Data Sheets) online for free, if your unsure what you have is "or equivalent" check out the TDS and make sure the products are made of the same compounds, resist the same chemicals, and are formulated for similar jobs.

God, I love that "or equivalent" part. I'm never sure if one of the things I have are in fact equivalent, or if they differ in some subtle way

Back