What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Big Tires

redhawk

Well Known Member
Just curious if anyone out there has put "big" low pressure type tires on a 4 or 8 ? (Like a 26" Bushwheel on 6" rims)

21 x 8 on 6" rims. Not quite the 26" you speak of.

IMG_5138_zpstoar6ucw.jpg

There is a guy just south of Grand Junction on a private air strip that did a modification to his nose wheel. I spoke with him several times and he was very nice and willing to help others. He milled a new wheel bracket that increased the size of the tire by about 2" at least. I can't remember his name but he had a great web site showing all the work he did. I did a quick search now and couldn't find it.

Maybe someone here can remember who it is.

Edit: I found the site. http://mesawood.info/myrv7a/n67bt.htm

Bob did much more than just adding a larger tire but it is very interesting to look at his work. He is quite a craftsman.

Last edited:
Gary,
Can you share the tire and tube name?
Do you have any vibrations in the wheel assembly on take-off or landing?
Do you have gear leg stiffeners?

I have the 6" Matco wheel assemblies for RV but the wheels are drilled for the TR-87 90deg tubes. The problem is that the new tundra 8:50-6 4ply tires by Dresser requires the 8:50-6 tubes which are only made with a TR-20 straight valve stem and will not work with the Matco wheels. The largest TR-87 tube I could find is an 8:00-6 so that is the size I'm going with. Now I need to find a tire in 8:00-6. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks!

21 x 8 on 6" rims. Not quite the 26" you speak of.

IMG_5138_zpstoar6ucw.jpg

Here you go:

http://www.desser.com/Aircraft-Tires-and-Tubes/21800-6-4-PLY.asp

http://www.desser.com/Aircraft-Tires-and-Tubes/TU-700800-6-AL.asp

I do have a slight vibration on takeoff due to slight imbalance. It only last a few seconds if I let the tires spin down on their own after takeoff. It is just barely noticeable so I don't think much of it. I might tap the brakes to stop the rotation and all is good.

I do have gear leg stiffeners. Helicopter tape on the flaps. 12lbs of air works nicely. Lands like a big pillow. Slightly higher step up to get on the wing walk. Better prop clearance. Cost me 11 MPH. I can convert back to 5.00-5 and wheel pants in about 4 hours. My conversion has endeared me to no one. Cub guys know that I am not a Cub and RV guys just think I slowed the thing down. I have had a blast going to lots of back country strips in this config.

All my parts are Cleveland 6" components. I use an 1 1/2" axles as a sleeve over the 1 1/4" axles to provide fitment for the 6" Cleveland parts. Don't know much about Matco stuff. HTH.

Yes.

I have looked at various options but so far haven't come up with a solution that I like. Either too heavy, cumbersome, or involve a lot of fabricating. Bigger tires an hubs get heavy fast. However a bigger tailwheel would be something that I would be interested in.

Yes.

I have looked at various options but so far haven't come up with a solution that I like. Either too heavy, cumbersome, or involve a lot of fabricating. Bigger tires an hubs get heavy fast. However a bigger tailwheel would be something that I would be interested in.

The great thing about experimental....experiment and keep us updated!

Thanks Daddy man.

I was inspired by this quote right off of Van's website:

"Others have used their RV-4s for sport of a different kind, flying regularly into backcountry strips for fishing and recreation. More than one SuperCub pilot has been startled to land at an out-of-the-way mountain strip and find an RV-4 already there."

Back