What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight for lunch in Big Bear (L35)

SPX

Well Known Member
Sponsor
This afternoon, I flew over to Big Bear (L35) and grabbed lunch. In case anyone is looking for a place to go eat lunch in the SoCal area, Big Bear is a good option.

The restaurant at the airport, Barnstorm, is open, and is practicing social distancing of guests, and the staff are wearing masks, gloves, etc. They have a limited menu, but it isn't too limited.

I've been in Big Bear twice in the last two weeks. It's beautiful up there right now.

IMG-8313.jpg

IMG-8314.jpg

IMG-8315.jpg

IMG-1657.jpg

IMG-7210.jpg

Sounds like a great time! I have lots of memories of flying up there with my dad when I was a kid. The top shot of the ramp looked familiar, sure enough he took a picture of me next to a brand new 150 from the same angle back in 1974-75. He was instructing and selling at the Cessna dealer that used to be at KSNA (Martin Aviation perhaps?) and took one of the 150s in stock and flew us to Big Bear for a quick lunch.

bigbear.jpg

It has been 6 or 7 years since I have eaten at L35.

Prices shown are DOUBLE what I remember and about double what I pay now for local in NC.

Prices shown are DOUBLE what I remember and about double what I pay now for local in NC.

Yes, the meal being expensive was not one of the things that I mentioned. ;) I was a little surprised by the prices for some of the items, but given the time that we're in, I am happy to support their business.

Back then I spent a couple of months living at our cabin, trying to figure out how to run a magazine, and sort of made the Barnstorm my morning office - I could get breakfast and hang out with good WiFi for a couple hours. Unfortunately, their prices went up to the point where this really isn’t practical anymore.

Occasional Hundred Dollar Hamburger? Sure - kind of a neat place. But locals? Priced right out of the picture.... we have other favorite spots we can walk or bike to, and that’s staying close to the airport!

I was down there last weekend in the jet - Louise has been at the cabin for about ten days, commuting to Warner Springs to do her Glider add-on. Airport is a lot less busy than usual, but holy cow, the town was really hopping over the weekend! All of LA decided to go to the mountain....

Paul

Last edited:
You have to remember that Big Bear is at the top of a mountain. I would bet the margins at Barnstorm are razor thin. Minimum wage in California is 15$ and with workman?s comp etc I am sure the price of labor there is at least 40$ per hour. I had employees for 35 years and and doing business in California is expensive.

BUT I love living and flying here. Unreal place with so many good qualities

Been flying my Cub. Even been to L35 in it
3B close to being finished

... snip ...

I was down there last weekend in the jet - Louise has been at the cabin for about ten days, commuting to Warner Springs to do her Glider add-on. Airport is a lot less busy than usual, but holy cow, the town was really hopping over the weekend! All of LA decided to go to the mountain....

Paul

Saw an ADS-B track of Tsam flying between L35 and they said Ramona so Warner Springs makes sense. Been to Warner Springs once in my airplane when I lived in SoCal.

Pricing the airport restaurant out of business

Sure California is out of control and big bear is up in the mountains but they used to have the cheapest gas in the area and prices for the restaurant we?re reasonable. Every time I go back up there its more expensive for both.
My spot now is corona, the gas is sometimes less expensive and the restaurant is reasonable. I?m all for supporting airport restaurants but hemet and corona have big bear beaten for gas and food these days Including locals Packing in. They will remain Running through the 3 month shutdowns and big bear will lose business at the rate they are going. Nice place to visit but not at that prices. It pains me to see airport eatery?s going out of business and hence I support them but they need to be competitive as I can?t be everywhere.
Appreciate the write up and review SPX.

I'm in the opposite camp. When I fly somewhere to eat, if the food is good, the price just doesn't matter. We are so lucky to be able to own and fly our own plane, the cost of the food is the smallest part of the $100 hamburger. Heck, we just flew there! What could be better than that?

-Marc

Back