What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door Weather Stripping

Hi,

The weather stripping around my doors seems to be getting loose. I was not the builder. Can someone recommend an adhesive to use to re-attach the stripping?

Hi,

The weather stripping around my doors seems to be getting loose. I was not the builder. Can someone recommend an adhesive to use to re-attach the stripping?

I used mcmaster seals, so not familiar with the Van's seals. However, the go to standard in the automotive world is 3M weatherstrip adhesive, often referred to as gorilla snot. available at any auto parts store. Very strong bond with rubber and remains somewhat flexible. It is a contact adhesive.

Larry

Last edited:
Page 45-17 of the plans directs one to use "Clear Silicon Sealant. (Van's aircraft used 3M Super Silicon Sealant - Clear supplied in semi-rigid tube from the use with a caulking gun)."

Hope that helps

E

Page 45-17 of the plans directs one to use "Clear Silicon Sealant. (Van's aircraft used 3M Super Silicon Sealant - Clear supplied in semi-rigid tube from the use with a caulking gun)."

Hope that helps

E

Not to question the mothership, but straight silicone seems like a poor fit in this application. Possibly the OPs plane was assembled per plans with silicone. If this were the case, I would not repeat it, as it clearly didn't hold up long term. To the OP, if it was adhered with silicone, you will need to take extensive steps to remove all traces of the silicone, lest nothing will stick to either the door frame or the rubber seal. This doesn't mean just the physical stuff. An invisible residue is left on the surface. Even new silicone doesn't adhere well to cured silicone. You can research effective methods of removing silicone; It is tenacious and very difficult to remove. Painters have the most experience in getting rid of it.

Larry

Last edited:
Not to question the mothership, but straight silicone seems like a poor fit in this application. Possibly the OPs plane was assembled per plans with silicone. If this were the case, I would not repeat it, as it clearly didn't hold up long term. To the OP, if it was adhered with silicone, you will need to take extensive steps to remove all traces of the silicone, lest nothing will stick to either the door frame or the rubber seal. This doesn't mean just the physical stuff. An invisible residue is left on the surface. Even new silicone doesn't adhere well to cured silicone. You can research effective methods of removing silicone; It is tenacious and very difficult to remove. Painters have the most experience in getting rid of it.

Larry

+1 for not using silicone. I run into it all the time as a plumbing contractor where a shower enclosure was installed with clear silicone. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING will stick to it and it always fails. I usually end up with the task of removing it, and it's time consuming.

-Marc

Back