What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Trim Control Question

Another Newbie question!
Just getting ready to order my -7 empennage kit and need some help on the only option question that comes with it.
I see that the electric elevator trim option says that the switch "can be mounted anywhere". I get that.
What I don't know is what the control device for the manual elevator trim looks like, or where/how it mounts in the cockpit.
I really don't want an electric trim, but since I'm going to be a pretty tight fit in the -7 cockpit I also don't want to overlook ANY option that would save me any usable cockpit space, even if only a little.
Is the manual control a wheel, a lever, or what? Where does it normally mount? Would the electric switch free up any space at all in a really tight cockpit vs. the manual control?
Thanks for any info.

It's a cable with a knob on the end that comes out low between the seats and then does a u turn up to a bracket thats in the general vicinity of the fuel selector.

If you google rv7 images they are easily seen in the cockpit photos.

It was a hard pass from me, electric trim just looked cleaner.

The vernier control knob is just above the fuel selector valve, directly below the standards throttle/mixture setup.

Thanks for the info gents.

I found several images, and it looks to me like the space saving might be worth going with the electric option.

It sounds like electric is becoming pretty common and popular, so I'm assuming it's reliable and doesn't present much of a down side...correct?

I agree it seems it would make for a "cleaner" look in the cockpit.

Electric trim is great for having auto-trim by the auto-pilot. It also weights less than that super long vernier cable. I've had no issues in the past 3+ years but also did not install the Ray Allen trim indicators that are known to fail with burned out LEDs. I think he has a newer version that is better but I don't miss not having the indicators. Same for flaps.

Back