What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

autopilot add-on

redhawk

Well Known Member
Has anyone added a 2 axis autopilot after the -3 was built?
Just wondering how difficult this might be ??

Not too bad. The wing mounts are retrofittable and so are the fuselage ones.

You're welcome to stop by and see the fuselage pitch servo mount. The wings are out at the Longmont hangar so that's where you'd see that.

Email sent.

Dave

I'm hoping to add a 2-axis Garmin autopilot to my new-to-me RV-3 at some point in the future. I had hoped to do it this winter, but I've got too many non-aviation obligations pulling at my time.

I'll probably do as much planning and research as I can between now and this time next year in hopes of pulling the trigger next winter season. If you'd like, we can provide updates via this thread so everyone benefits from the research.

I'm tempted to order a few Garmin brackets and a servo or two. I don't think there's any reason I can't install the servos before the rest of the G3x system is ready for installation.

What type (brand) of autopilot and servos are you considering?

Hi Mike,

Thanks a ton for posting those pictures. I?ve downloaded them and I?m sure they?ll be very useful when I install my Garmin servos.

Did you fabricate custom brackets, or are this Garmin stock parts. I?ve heard of some using the RV4 brackets for the pitch servo and I don?t know what they?re using for the roll.

Mines a non-B wing spar, so I?m not sure how that?ll change things.

Hi Rod. I used the RV7 mounts modified a little for the wing and the RV8 mounts again modified just abit for the pitch. It was pretty easy.
Let me know if I can help with more info, etc.
Thanks,Mike
RV3B N931M (tnmike)

Autopilot

Even though I have a Dynon 180, I?ve heard the Garmin autopilot is a very straight forward install. Thinking of that or the Dynon...
Sounds like various selections of brackets are being used.

I made my own pitch brackets but I think swapped the roll brackets out for Dynon. Might very well have used the Dynon since it's not a difficult switch.

Here's the pitch servo.

OXbcrDi.jpg

Dave

Back