What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stroker Cylinders - O-320 HP upgrade to 180HP

redhawk

Well Known Member
Hey out there,
I?m looking at doing this... Just wondering who has done this and what?s involved, and who best to purchase cylinders from.
Thanks!

I just completed this exact build.

0-320 b2b stock 160hp
Complete rebuild
All steel parts overhauled by aircraft specialties
Case overhauled by divco
New cylinders from http://www.airpowerinc.com/
Overhauled crank
New cam with dlc coated lifters
New combustion tech 10:1 pistons
Crank, rods and pistons balanced within 1 gram.
Prop dynamic balanced to .02 ips.
Drop shipped cylinders to lycon for port/polish and strip paint with anodizing.
Drilled carb main jet from #42 to #37
Dual pmags

Engine is estimated at 190+hp by lycon. They build the exact same engine without 10:1 pistons for supercubs and it dynos 185 hp. The video is in the media section of lycon’s website. Last two videos. http://www.lycon.com/media.html

My engine runs cool, pulls like an 0360, weigh 20 lbs lighter than a 360 and cost me $20k to build. There is no more power to be had out of my engine short of a turbo.

I also converted from a catto 3 blade fixed pitch to a whirlwind 200rv prop and swapped the odyssey pc680 for the earthx 680. This saved me 10lbs in battery alone. The performance difference was dramatic and well worth the $30k i spent firewall forward.

Last edited:
No idea, not an engineer. Lycon said they never had any problems with 10:1. It is the defacto piston for performance. They told me to run it rich below 5000ft and only lean below 75% power. It runs great and the cht?s are surprising cool.

Whats this now? What are socker cylinders? Where can I read more about this...and is there similar for the 360 line? Not getting any google hits on socker cylinders....

Stroker cylinders

My apologies (thanks spell check!) I think the correct spelling is ?Stroker? cylinders from ECI.
I am still trying to determine if it is as simple as just buying 4 of the Stroker cylinders from a ECI supplier and swapping out the original O-320 cylinders.

My apologies (thanks spell check!) I think the correct spelling is “Stroker” cylinders from ECI.
I am still trying to determine if it is as simple as just buying 4 of the Stroker cylinders from a ECI supplier and swapping out the original O-320 cylinders.

Stroke is set by the crank. Different rods or pistons are also required for a stroked crank. I think ECI does it with rods, but not sure.

Combustion basics. . . .

It runs great and the cht?s are surprising cool.

Lower CHT due to faster burn rate(shorter crank duration) and therefore lower heat rejection to components of combustion chamber. The heat is turned to work (BHP) instead of being lost (CHT).

Not a fan of CR over 8.5 or 9:1 with 100LL. Just my opinion, run that bad boy full rich until below 65% power. Detonation and the damage it causes can happen fast with out much if any indication... I flew an experimental O-235 Lyc engine and it blew a hole in the piston... Engine kept running with partial power to get on ground (was over grass strip), so I did not demand much of it. It shook like a son of a gun even at the very reduced power.

If upping the CR was easy and reliable Lycoming would do it. Oh they did, and they stopped making that engine. If you want more power I'd go with more Cubes...

Last edited:
ECi Stroker -- Continental Motors

To clarify the information on "stroked" engines that were developed at ECi and are in production now at Continental Motors under the Titan brand.

1. The cylinders are lightened by tapering the barrel cooling fins from a wide diameter at the cylinder head end to a smaller diameter at the crankcase end.
2. The cylinders have a venturi design intake seat that increases the engine power.
3. The additional displacement is achieved by increasing the distance that the crankshaft throws ( and the pistons and connecting rods ) travel within the cylinder barrels. With the extra "stroke" the 360 engine achieves 370 cubic inches and the 320 achieves 340 cubic inches of displacement.

Titan has several options for compression pistons;
340 = 8.0 or 9.0:1
370= 7.2, 8.3, and 9.6:1

Titan also builds the 320 and 360 cubic inch displacement engines for the more conventional builders. There are quite a few beneficial options available for them too.

Superior recalled some XP382 and XP400 engines with high CR due to crank failing from detonation (I recall). I'm just not that brave... Give me an non-scalded cat... Cheers

Superior recalled all 382/400 engines due to defective crankshafts which were a new design, it has nothing to do with CR or stroke (or detonation IMO).

The stroked Titan engine uses the same design crank as the 360 but the rods journals have been ground offset a bit more than stock to increase the stroke.

Custom engine builders like Lycon have been building engines with 10-1 CR's for many years with no issues, don't believe me, just call them.

PS: I wish one of the moderators would fix the title to "stroker" instead of "socker"!

Last edited:
Back