What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pilot as a Day Job

David Z

Well Known Member
I was thinking the other day, how many builders and RV pilots also fly professionally? Also, in what type of operation and aircraft?
Did the systems or layout on the plane you fly at work affect the layout or systems of your RV?

I'll start, I'm a Dash 8-100 Captain working for a small airline in Northern Ontario Canada flying to remote gravel airports. As for shamelessly stealing from work planes, I have flown various models of King Airs and the 1900 previously. I'm considering stealing ideas from the Beechcraft electrical system logic for redundancy. My build is pretty early on, lots of time to change my mind.

P.S. Obviously the fighter pilot guys win the "cool" contest with F-15s, F-16s and such. :cool:

Big Airlanes with all the glass and gadgets

I purposely kept my airplane non glass and no fancy equipment because Im a pilot and not a button pusher and i wanted the real flying experience. That includes hours and hours of holding a heading and an altitude. I had no desire for the tech
Cm

I am retired now, but one of the things I built into my RV-7A was to lay out my switches in a left to right flow pattern from pre-start to before taxi to before takeoff. It works very nice.

I am a "Flight Engineer" doing testing on transport aircraft... I have enough hours as an FE between the military and the current job that I have learned to not trust pilots, they're all out to kill me...

Therefore, I fly my RV-9A whenever I can, with a nicely appointed panel. Not because it's any "better" than an older setup, but that it's more cost effective than an older panel on any sort of newer aircraft.

I completed my -4 back in 1989. It's a daylight, fighter interceptor with minimal stuff to take my attention away from the mission. It was my steam relief valve as I was transitioning to the super guppy from steam gauges. After the stupid stuff I witnessed on the line with some fellows buried in the FMC and MCP,while on the way back from Stapleton, I'd stop off at my hangar at APA and yank and bank the RV4 while still in my airline outfit. That little four still serves that purpose quite well today and has saved a ton on therapy.:)

Cheers, Hans

I think there's already a thread running about this very question!
I'm old school, glass by night steam by day:) there's no fun or satisfaction in glass cockpits anymore, yr just a system manager, any monkey can be taught to do that and you can still kill a LOT of people with glass!
Sometimes I get a basic f/o to turn it all off in VMC and they struggle big time to make a Viz App, this is the way of the future, us old farts are a dieing breed!

Last edited:
Love the glass

I?ve been flying professionally all my adult life and, like us all, have used steam and glass. Steam is comfortable, glass is wonderful. I still fly a couple corporate types. One is still all steam, the other glass. Both do the job and I still look out the windows and hand fly because that?s still what I love.
I too have flown with new guys that can?t find the airport without a flight director. But I?ve flown with old guys that couldn?t either. To me, it?s the pilots attitude indicator that?s far more important than the planes.
I love formation and acro and puttering along low looking at the country side. But I also use my 8 for traveling and my acres of glass make that easier for me.
Abide by your own limitations and enjoy what you have. Look out the windows and enjoy the view. But when there is no view enjoy your glass.

I am a "Flight Engineer" doing testing on transport aircraft... I have enough hours as an FE between the military and the current job that I have learned to not trust pilots, they're all out to kill me...

That's cute.
Why not move over to the right seat then? Show them how its done. :rolleyes:

These kind of threads remind me of the new country song, “I’m Rednecker Than You.”

Last edited:
One of the best reasons I love RVs is for their versatility. They handle and fly so well. My 6 is fun to:

Wheel Land
Fly Formation
Positive G Acro

and.....

Fly IFR cross country
Practice all sorts of approaches

Sometimes the AP is on and the glass is being utilized for all it can do. Other times, I like to look out the window.

RV for fun and travel. Luscombe for just local fun and 4 Part 25 glass cockpit type ratings for work.

Last edited:
That's cute.
Why not move over to the right seat then? Show them how its done. :rolleyes:

Nah... There is some truth to the intelligence level dropping the closer you get to the windows. LOL

But, seriously... I enjoy working as part of the team and helping avoid issues that can be avoided. The flying we do is NOT the normal day to day flying. A third crew member is a must.

Back