What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Big Tires

redhawk

Well Known Member
Been thinking of tradin in my C185 for a RV8. When I owned a -8, I always wished for bigger tires even bigger than Dessers 3.80s that fit the RV wheel.
Have there been any recent conversions out there ?
Cheers and thanks for the replies...

6.00 x 6"

There was a recent video of an RV 6 owner on a farm strip with his RV 6 doing a very nice short field on grass. The tires appeared to be 6.00 x6".

Somebody will hopefully read this and help you find the thread. It was something like
" How short can you land an RV " or something to that effect.

Then you can find the video and contact the poster.

Dan H can tell you the force numbers that the 8's gear legs encounter and what you might be up against for gear leg attachment limits. The lower inflation of 600 x 6" tires might soften the peak loads even though the arm would be slightly longer VS the 5" at higher pressures.

Good Luck!

That?s mine...

600s? No, much bigger... :)

They are Desser 21/800-6...Desser claims 4” taller than a standard 800-6 without being quite the size and weight of an 8.50

Love it, but I give Sheepdog the credit for getting his plane featured in the EAA magazine, and then I copied him...he helped with info. (Just to add to the confusion...sheepdog is his screen name here and Sheepdog, Ltd. is the name of one of my businesses). The video is me landing at my parent’s pasture in SE Colorado...it’s 1200’ or so long with minimal obstructions at each end. Elevation is about 4300’.

With some spacers, Matco W60 wheels, rotors, and calipers fit the stock -6 axles. I used to have pictures posted with the 21s next to the 3.80s...they make them look like casters.

Let me know if I can share anything else.

Last edited:
Back