What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV12 Paint

Time to get her painted. I am gong to have the fiberglass painted, but want the aluminum shiny. Would just keeping it waxed do or should I get a clear coat?

Plus any recommendations would be appreciated.

Clear coat

I would be very interested in a clear-coat that would work. I recently checked at an auto paint and glass store for a clearcoat to go over buffed aluminum wheels. They told me as far as they knew There was not a product that would stick to bare aluminum.
I think it would look nice on the plane if you could find one.

John S.

My 12 is paint and polish

My RV12 has the fiberglass painted and lots of bare aluminum that I polish. I have researched different ways to treat the aluminum that might reduce the work needed to maintain the shine, or a reduced shine that I go for on top of the wings. Sadly I haven’t found and have been told by various sources there are no products that “seal” the Aluminum and keep the polished look. It always comes back to removing the oxidation that occurs.

After polishing for six years now I considered painting the bottom silver to keep the aluminum look and make cleanup a little easier.

There are many articles about the polishing process and vendors who sell polishing products also have many tips. It does look good once it’s polished up.

Back