What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop balance - weight location

kritsher

Well Known Member
I'm having my prop dynamically balanced. The initial feedback from the person doing the job is that he'd have to drill the spinner bulkhead to install weights. Is this what others have done? Can anyone share pics of how their weights are mounted?

thanks!

Not telling you what to do, but I just use longer screws on the backplate perimeter. An oversize nut is a convenient shim/weight to clear the nutplate, and then nut/washer(s) as needed.

A lot of guys put the weight on the holes in the ring gear (flywheel), but that's a bit of an offset from the imbalance.

edit: Never paid attention to a -12 spinner; don't know if the techniques will work there. Obviously the ring gear is out...

Charlie

My mechanic just put stick on wheel balance weights on the backing plate flange. Haven?t moved in 300 hrs.

Jack

My mechanic just put stick on wheel balance weights on the backing plate flange. Haven?t moved in 300 hrs.

Jack

That's a very risky, un-approved way to balance and I would never do it, drill the backplate and install weights using standard hardware is standard practice. On a Lyc you can mount them on the flywheel but the 12 obviously has no such thing.

I'm having my prop dynamically balanced. The initial feedback from the person doing the job is that he'd have to drill the spinner bulkhead to install weights. Is this what others have done? Can anyone share pics of how their weights are mounted?

thanks!

i-QrST29g-L.jpg

My A&P drills holes into spinner bulkhead too

Just had this done for a second time due to having hub half being replaced and experiencing vibrations. Recommend everyone get this done. This time around Dave got it to .1 and boy is it smooth running. Jane now has 948hrs and gearbox inspection is coming up at 1000 hrs will see the results on the gears.

Do it often

I agree, most folks would be surprised at how much smoother the whole unit is after a balance. You should dynamically balance whenever there has been a change in the rotating assembly, which would include anything from a simple prop pitch change or replacing the spinner to overhauling the engine or gearbox.

Most manufacturers limit vibration to 0.25 IPS, but it only takes about 0.07 inches per second to be noticeable by the average person. When I did my first balance check on my RV12 last year, it was at 0.68 IPS. Reindexing the prop and spinner brought it down to 0.47, but that's still a destructive amount of vibration over time. I now have it at 0.01 IPS.

My hangar neighbor has a C150 with an O-200 and he said it has run smooth that way for years. I offered to do a check for him and found 0.32 IPS, which shocked him. We've now got his down to 0.02 IPS and he says it's like a new airplane. So, even if you think it's smooth, I highly recommend getting at least a balance check - you might be surprised what the meter shows.

Last edited:
Just had this done for a second time due to having hub half being replaced and experiencing vibrations. Recommend everyone get this done. This time around Dave got it to .1 and boy is it smooth running. Jane now has 948hrs and gearbox inspection is coming up at 1000 hrs will see the results on the gears.

Hopefully you mean .01
.1 is not horribly bad but when paying a professional do it, they should be able to get it very close to .01.

BTW, the acceleration value that is considered noticeable is .07 or higher (not .7)

The below chart is generally considered the "standard" values for balancing.
My goal is 0.050 IPS or better when balancing, .010 is very seldom obtainable on professional balancing equipment.
I've done balance checks after Dynavib balances and other "hobby" balancers and my numbers are always higher (I can't even get .01x on my own aircraft after multiple attempts). I have had a few over the years that got into the .01x range but after hundreds of balance jobs I can assure you that .01x is generally impossible to achieve (notice my equip goes out 3 places while most only go 2 places)

What some of the manufactures say:

Unless otherwise specified by the engine or airframe manufacturer, Hartzell
recommends that the propeller be dynamically balanced to a reading of 0.2 IPS,
or less.

Most dynamic balance equipment manufacturers specify 0.15 - 0.2 ips as being an
acceptable level. McCauley Propeller Systems agrees that 0.15 - 0.2 is an acceptable
level, but our experience has shown that 0.07 ips or lower is noticeably smoother.

DANGER — 1.25 Inches Per Second (IPS) Peak Amplitude. The propeller should be removed and a static balance performed.

VERY ROUGH — 1.00 Inches Per Second (IPS) Peak Amplitude. Propeller can be dynamically balanced; however a large amount of weight will be required. A propeller static balance is recommended. Operation at this vibration level could cause damage.

ROUGH --- 0.50 Inches Per Second (IPS) Peak Amplitude. Propeller definitely requires dynamic balance. Long term operation at this vibration level could cause excessive wear.

SLIGHTLY ROUGH -- 0.25 Inches Per Second (IPS) Peak Amplitude. Dynamic balance will improve passenger comfort.

FAIR---- 0.15 Inches Per Second (IPS) Peak Amplitude. This is the maximum acceptable vibration level after dynamic balancing.

GOOD ---- 0.07 Inches Per Second (IPS) Peak Amplitude. Vibration levels below 0.07 will not be detectable by pilots or passengers.

Last edited:
My goal is 0.05 IPS or better when balancing, .01 is seldom obtainable on professional balancing equipment.

I agree. That is why I said a pro should be able to get close to .01.
I regularly get final values of .02 or .03 (though not meaning to imply I am a pro.... I only do 3 or 4 per year)

Balancer

I use the classic dynavibe and I take 5 averages before I process the numbers eliminating the high and low ips and outside angles. I process the remaining average and that works well for me.

Hopefully you mean .01
.1 is not horribly bad but when paying a professional do it, they should be able to get it very close to .01.

BTW, the acceleration value that is considered noticeable is .07 or higher (not .7)

Actually, by the time the weight was mounted on the spinner backing plate it was .02.

Walt, what brand do you use? 2 accelerometers 1 front, 1 rear?

MicroVib II, I only use the front accel to balance the prop, if you want to mount a rear you can but nothing you can do to really change that so it pretty much a waste of time unless you have a internal engine vibration you are trying to diagnose.

Not telling you what to do, but I just use longer screws on the backplate perimeter. An oversize nut is a convenient shim/weight to clear the nutplate, and then nut/washer(s) as needed.

Charlie
This just seems like such a good idea, I wonder why more people don't do this? Not to mention it's at the outside of the spinner bulkhead, has 14 positions on my spinner, and will eliminate the need to remove and re-install the spinner each time you do a run.

Only downside is when removing the spinner I'd need to remove the top cowl to get access to the added HW. It's pretty rare that I need to remove my spinner without removing the cowl - I only did this when adjusting the prop's fine pitch stop during early flight testing.

These are the sources of information I reference when balancing propellers. I use a Dyna Vibe GX3 so the equipment in these publications is different but the principles are the same and the mounting of balance weight are best practices.

For your reading pleasure google the following 3 publications:

FAA Advisory Circular 20-37E - Aircraft Propeller Maintenance

The following is a quote from the above AC and both use best practices according to the FAA.

"When approved aircraft or propeller manufacturer’s procedures are not available, there are other acceptable dynamic propeller balancing procedures. These include, but are not limited to the Chadwick-Helmuth Publication No. AW-9511-2, entitled “The Smooth Propeller”, and ACES Publication No. 100-OM-01, entitled “ACES Systems Guide to Propeller Balancing”. "

Of course, if you fly an experimental you are free to "experiment"

.07 ips is considered balanced. Really the only way to tell the difference between .01 and .07 ips is by using pro-grade balancing equipment.

Last edited:
These are the sources of information I reference when balancing propellers. I use a Dyna Vibe GX3 so the equipment in these publications is different but the principles are the same and the mounting of balance weight are best practices.

For your reading pleasure google the following 3 publications:

FAA Advisory Circular 20-37E - Aircraft Propeller Maintenance

The following is a quote from the above AC and both use best practices according to the FAA.

"When approved aircraft or propeller manufacturer’s procedures are not available, there are other acceptable dynamic propeller balancing procedures. These include, but are not limited to the Chadwick-Helmuth Publication No. AW-9511-2, entitled “The Smooth Propeller”, and ACES Publication No. 100-OM-01, entitled “ACES Systems Guide to Propeller Balancing”. "

Of course, if you fly an experimental you are free to "experiment"

.07 ips is considered balanced. Really the only way to tell the difference between .01 and .07 ips is by using pro-grade balancing equipment.
Thanks Ray - looking at my Hartzell manual it says to put the weights on the spinner bulkhead, outside of the doubler and inboard the flange. Looks like that's what I'll do!

The flywheel holes are an approved location for Lycoming.
BTW this thread is like 3 yrs old...

I have the Dyna Vibe Classic and mount what usually is a 1/4 bolt and washers to center of rear spinner plate. I do three runs and average them. I made a protractor that I slide onto pitot tube to find the spot to add wt... I had done a vibe run yester that averaged .70...after adding just 8 grams which was a short 1/4 bolt and two washers I got it down to .05...also don't forget to make sure your transduce is tight and you have balanced your carbs first...I was surprised at only needing 8 grams, I've added 25g before to get from .5 to .05...the difference is notable.

Back