What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is a "Light-weight" RV4?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I am currently looking at a 4 weighing in at 1020 lbs. Is that an acceptable number considering it has a O320 and wood prop?

Thanks,
D

It's not too far out of the realm of average. My O-320, wood prop, RV-4 weighed in at 968lbs last time it was weighed. I have a buddy with a -4 about the same weight as yours. Mine's 160hp and his was 150hp before overhaul, there was a performance difference. Now he's 160+ and performance is pretty equal.

Here's to hoping you're looking at a 160hp 320. :)

Thanks justin, it’s a 150hp but I anticipate myself increasing the hp with high compression pistons. Old avionics are going to be replaced with a vfr basic glass panel and a strip/paint is def in order. So we shall see if I can lighten her up a bit in the process.

Thanks again,
D

My short legged 4, painted, glass panel, 160HP, w Sensenich GA prop weighs 965 pounds on calibrated scales.

1020 may be correct, but it is very common to have aircraft weighed on scales of dubious calibration.

For example, back in 1994 when I had no money and no calibrated scales, my same 4 weighed 940 pounds on bathroom scales... with a much heavier steam gauge panel.

So, if you want to actually know what the plane weighs, get good, calibrated scales and do it again.

Pretty close

I am currently looking at a 4 weighing in at 1020 lbs. Is that an acceptable number considering it has a O320 and wood prop?

Thanks,
D

When I purchased my about 6 years ago, it was 1015#.
I put it on a diet and it lost a vacuume pump, steam gauges, and "pink battery".

Now it is 935#

Hoping to shed some tailwheel weight next.

Your are fine.

Daddyman

My 180 HP RV4 with a carbon Sensenich GA prop, long gear legs, and VFR glass panel weighs 979.2 lbs on calibrated scales.

That's a little porky to my mind. It only gives you 300lb to Van's max weight with full tanks. Does depend on your size and the size of your regular passenger. Are there any opportunities to lose some weight? If the airplane is otherwise good it be a negotiation point ...

Pete

Thanks,
D

Particularly with a wood prop, an RV-4 at that empty weight would be considered pretty heavy (there are wood prop RV-6s' that are that weight).

I would consider a light weight RV-4 to be one that is below about 935 lbs.

After speaking with the owner, looks as if the plane has TWO coats of paint on her. Hence the weight.

Bunch of LIARS!

What you will find with RV empty weight is oretty much what you will find with asking most ladies what they weigh before giving them a ride in your RV.....LIARS 😂😂😂 You would be SHOCKED to find out how many builders do their weighing BEFORE the RV is painted then never weigh it again. And before interior. Or latest mods, etc. If you really need to know the weight, get it weighed with accurate scales. In the several years I have helped airport buddies buy many RV's, 6 RV's in the last two years. Not ONE bought had an accurate weight and ALL 6 were heavier than stated. An 0-320 with a wood prop SHOULD be under 1,000 pounds but if its a nice build with full interior and old IFR panel it will weigh over 1000 usually. Maybe the seller is HONEST 😂😂😂. My big safety check is THE TAILWHEEL IS CLOSE TO 50 POUNDS. Aft CG is a killer, I'd do my own W&B calculations and find my limitations. And oh, there is probably not a single RV-4 pilot who hasn't flown over 'gross weight'. RV-4's are incredibly overbuilt stout airplanes. Only thing I would NEVER mess with is aft CG. That will kill you in an RV-4.

Enjoy your new ride Sir!

Weight a minute...

Thanks,
D

I would consider 1020 acceptable but a bit "chubby for an 0-320 with a woody".
:)
My Four tipped the FAA scales at 925lbs in 1996, 0-320A/ Sterba, few amenities, no paint and few creature comforts. However comma...
How'd it fly: AWESOME!

The lighter they are, the better they fly...
V/R
Smokey
PS: Since then it has gained some weight, paint, amenities etc but still light at 955.

RV-4 weight

Good posts about -4 weights and I agree with Scott. Any weight under 935 is about right for a 320 and wood prop. My first -4 serial number 706 was 916 lbs with an 0-320A2B and a pacesetter 200 prop. When I went to my first vans homecoming and met Van, he asked me about the weight. When I told him he said it was a little heavy and wondered why. I told him I didn’t taper the spar strips which was an option at that time. He agreed that it would be a little lighter had I tapered them.
My second -4 came in at 975 lbs with an 0-360 and a Hartzell constant speed. The big difference today vs back then is weight in the panel. The G-5 for example weighs almost nothing and no need for vacuum system and the instruments that it ran. Just my observation. Still a die hard -4 guy.

Mine :)

Just weighed mine for the first time. Bathroom scales, so take it with a grain of salt. 927 lbs. No paint, no wheel pants nor gear leg fairings. (Those will likely add 6 lbs or more). Paint/vinyl probably another 15 - 20 lbs.

The 927 lbs include:
Wood prop and spinner. (76x88 Performance Propellers)
Oil and coolant
Pitch & Roll servos
Roll trim servo
ELT (that sucker is heavy with its 6 D-cell batteries!)
5-point camloc harnesses
Seat cushions
ASI, Altimeter, D-100, Stratus 1090ESG, Micro 760 radio, ...

Mazda 13-B Renesis with electronic fuel injection. I think I could shave 10 or more lbs off the engine installation if I needed to (lighter exhaust manifold and exhaust, oil cooler air duct, ...)

Finn

RV4 Weigh in

Just did mine which is painted, except for the cowling, Sensenich Wood prop spun by a 160 HP 0-320

Right: 448 lbs
Left: 456
Tail: 50

Total: 954 and 65.59 CG

Gives me plenty of useful load but I see how easy it would be to get it aft CG, something I have not had to worry about in my 195.

RV3B

I bought an RV3B 1.5 yrs. The previous owner clearly fudged the wt of 760lbs among other things cr. It actually weighs 846 lbs. My question is how is it 94 lbs over Vans 750 lb empty wt? Did the Vans stated weight include paint, starter?

I have a Li Batt, SDS dual electronic ignition, 10” G3X, G5, GPS175, remote GTX35R, GTR20 remote COM, and GDL39R, GMU22, GEA24, AP dual servos. O-320-B2B 160hp. Alternator is a mini. Prop is wood with carbon fiber (Prince P-tip).

Last edited:
RV3B empty wt

Was paint, starter included in Vans empty weight?

Published empty wt for RV3 is 750 lbs. Included in the empty wt is a vacuum pump, and six pack which are all heavy. You replace it with a glass panel and it can’t possibly be more than 20-25 lbs difference in wt between the vacuum pump n 6 pack. Paint is about 15-20 lbs. What’s the difference in wt for the B wing

Was paint, starter included in Vans empty weight?

Published empty wt for RV3 is 750 lbs. Included in the empty wt is a vacuum pump, and six pack which are all heavy. You replace it with a glass panel and it can’t possibly be more than 20-25 lbs difference in wt between the vacuum pump n 6 pack. Paint is about 15-20 lbs. What’s the difference in wt for the B wing

Sincerely doubt the original published weight for an RV-3 included IFR package.
Suspect it was minimal VFR, O235 (or lighter engine), wood prop and unpainted, possibly even no starter and battery.

Also suspect the RV-3B wings are heavier than the original RV-3. My RV-3B with quick-build wings do not have lightening holes in the outer main spar web.

Finn

My 0320 RV 4 when I started flying it in 2007,Weighed 945 pounds with a Catto Propeller with minimal instrumentation. in 2018 I installed a O360,Hartzell constant speed, auto pilot, leather interior and a cup holder now I am at 1043 pounds and will never go back.

Back