What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Task Saturation, Mind Blown

Crafting N112DR

Well Known Member
ACtC-3e0GzMMBBIu0iBSkGlQteG4EeGAf-SwHDjlzVSIWdMvfyr448y-2NHv6nSr0ZyU0ox82kNvGfIFAYq7ysV5YdUb4HfHK693A0IsEKzpIlG1pnt9PZ5o4oNtjmnfCXcXc41aPQUjXaEMXY51qjVxFpD65A=w1420-h580

Dave H. throws different situations at me to see how I will deal with real world scenarios. Dealing with emergency power loss, navigation to uncontrolled airports, class G and E airspace. I was totally task saturated with trying to manage the navigation, radios, and flying the 12.
LINK HERE>Click for the YouTube Video <

Last edited:
Your landings are pretty smooth.

I have, in my 12 Legacy model, tried to find a trim setting before take off that doesn't require me to push too far forward right after rotation at 55 kts. That trim setting shows up quite clearly on my Dynon Skyview, don't know how it works on the Garmin units.

About 70 to 75 kts airspeed with full throttle is where I will then pull back a little bit on the stick, and climb out from ground effect.

Lots of high density city underneath the airport I am at, so I'd like the elevation
gain and the energy to glide quickly, in the event of a power out landing situation.

How your prop pitch is adjusted has pretty big effect on your climb rate out. At full throttle, at full gross, 1320# I like to see at least 5150 to 5225 rpm at a 75 kt climb rate and see 850 -900 fpm, maybe only 800 fpm on a 85 or 90 degree take off temp. It took me 3 attempts at adjusting the prop, to get mine right, previous owner was only seeing 4850 rpm at 75 kts and a very anemic 500 to 550 fpm climb rate, at full gross. 912 ULS motor just was not able to make much HP at that aggresive a cruise pitch setting. Have a passenger verify your rpm on take off, and at a 75 kt climb rate, as well as your fpm climb rate, write it down and log it.

Last edited:
Your landings are pretty smooth.

I have, in my 12 Legacy model, tried to find a trim setting before take off that doesn't require me to push too far forward right after rotation at 55 kts. That trim setting shows up quite clearly on my Dynon Skyview, don't know how it works on the Garmin units.

About 70 to 75 kts airspeed with full throttle is where I will then pull back a little bit on the stick, and climb out from ground effect.

Lots of high density city underneath the airport I am at, so I'd like the elevation
gain and the energy to glide quickly, in the event of a power out landing situation.

How your prop pitch is adjusted has pretty big effect on your climb rate out. At full throttle, at full gross, 1320# I like to see at least 5150 to 5225 rpm at a 75 kt climb rate and see 850 -900 fpm, maybe only 800 fpm on a 85 or 90 degree take off temp. It took me 3 attempts at adjusting the prop, to get mine right, previous owner was only seeing 4850 rpm at 75 kts and a very anemic 500 to 550 fpm climb rate, at full gross. 912 ULS motor just was not able to make much HP at that aggresive a cruise pitch setting. Have a passenger verify your rpm on take off, and at a 75 kt climb rate, as well as your fpm climb rate, write it down and log it.

Are you leaving the nose on the ground then rotate at 75 or are you lifting nose wheel first then fly off at 75. Pitch right on at 5200 RPM, gives about 800 FPM at VY.

Are you leaving the nose on the ground then rotate at 75 or are you lifting nose wheel first then fly off at 75. Pitch right on at 5200 RPM, gives about 800 FPM at VY.

At Full throttle, no flaperons, I try to get the nose just barely off the tarmac and level at 25 to 30 kts and hold it there just a teensy amount of back pressure, then rotate at 55 kts, climb out very slowly to 10 ft above tarmac, while still in ground effect until airspeed gets to 75 kts at 10 ft AGL, then touch the stick back gently and hold 75 kts on climb out and crosswind to the downwind, until 1000 AGL. I try to trim the plane quickly at a 75 kt climb out rate so minimal stick pressure is needed to maintain. The prop seems to "bite" and hold climb rate much better, once 70 to 75 Kts are made. You can, of course, climb out at 65 kts, at Vx but you are much closer to stall speed when doing so, much less margin for error due to pressure on the stick.

If you get the front wheel off the tarmac, it seems then you steer with the rudder, not the brakes, and the plane will reach rotation speed much faster, not dealing with friction from spinning up the front wheel, IMHO.

The big mistake I made while learning was holding the whole grip stick in the palm of my hand... I now just use two fingers and my thumb, and it makes the plane much better behaved since I've started doing it just with finger tips. Less over correction or over reaction. The RV-12 is sporty, requires just your thought, almost, for input to get the desired results.

Best suggestion I can recommend is have someone demonstrate it to you, in your plane, then you emulate them. It's a modified grass or short field take off technique that works very well on paved runways too. Also doesn't beat up the nose gear if the runway is a little bit rough or undulating.

Last edited:
At Full throttle, no flaperons, I try to get the nose just barely off the tarmac and level at 25 to 30 kts and hold it there just a teensy amount of back pressure, then rotate at 55 kts, climb out very slowly to 10 ft above tarmac, while still in ground effect until airspeed gets to 75 kts at 10 ft AGL, then touch the stick back gently and hold 75 kts on climb out and crosswind to the downwind, until 1000 AGL. I try to trim the plane quickly at a 75 kt climb out rate so minimal stick pressure is needed to maintain. The prop seems to "bite" and hold climb rate much better, once 70 to 75 Kts are made. You can, of course, climb out at 65 kts, at Vx but you are much closer to stall speed when doing so, much less margin for error due to pressure on the stick.

If you get the front wheel off the tarmac, it seems then you steer with the rudder, not the brakes, and the plane will reach rotation speed much faster, not dealing with friction from spinning up the front wheel, IMHO.

The big mistake I made while learning was holding the whole grip stick in the palm of my hand... I now just use two fingers and my thumb, and it makes the plane much better behaved since I've started doing it just with finger tips. Less over correction or over reaction. The RV-12 is sporty, requires just your thought, almost, for input to get the desired results.

Best suggestion I can recommend is have someone demonstrate it to you, in your plane, then you emulate them. It's a modified grass or short field take off technique that works very well on paved runways too. Also doesn't beat up the nose gear if the runway is a little bit rough or undulating.

Thanks for the great feed back, will see if I can give your technique a go.

Back