What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV3 wing mod

Capt

Well Known Member
Hi guys. I know there's a fair bit written about the 3's wing mods to clear them for aero's but I'm interested in one that has the Std wing (no mods). Just asking if anyone has tackled the mod/s themselves and did they consider the work straight forward, not to difficult?
I'm not a supple young guy anymore so getting into awkward positions is but just a memory for me!

Thanks.

It's been a while, but ...
Fairly straight forward. Need to drill out enough of the bottom skin rivets so you can peel back the skin and get access to the spar. Hold the skin with several strips of duct tape or bungee cords.

I would recommend drilling up the holes in the spar a bit undersize and reaming to 3/16" for the rivets and for a nice fit for the 3/16" bolts.

I picked up a nice big chunk of tool steel at a metal supply place and was able to set the 3/16" rivets with a 3x gun. Obviously a pneumatic squeezer would make it a lot easier if you have the yoke(s) to reach.

Positioning the wing so you don't have to twist your body into unnatural positions makes it a lot easier.

Making sure that lightening hole edges are nice and smooth pays off when it comes to setting the skin rivets as you reach in though root rib and the aileron bell crank access panel.

I wonder if Van's still supply the materials ...

Finn

Back