What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fluting Ribs

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Just went through this again on a new HS. Something to stay aware of is that there are TWO dimensions to the ribs you're correcting.
1. The flanges are not likely bent to 90 degrees relative to the web, since they're probably sprung back a bit from their forming.
2. The overall rib is likely curved a bit away from the flanges.

I suggest you first bend the flanges to 90 degrees from the web of the rib. This will probably exagerate the curve of the rib, but it will leave you with only one dimension to correct via the fluting pliers. So, place the ribs against your workshop table on the flange and gently press them down and rotate them around and around to get those flanges bent to 90 degrees.

After that's done, bring out the fluting pliers to address the overall curve of the ribs. See if that works better than going back and forth between the flange to web angle and the curve created in the web of the rib by the forming of the rib.

I'm sure it's been mentioned here before!

I was taught to over bend, slightly, as the angle will relax a few degrees from (AN) riveting.

Curl the edge of the flange slightly to avoid "printing" the "straight edge" as a result of normal vibrations.

Back