What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting

dbren

I am riveting the horizontal stabilizer and was wondering if I should be riveting the outside and inside edges, I assume a fiber glass tip goes on the outside edge. Will that be riveted at that time? And on the inside a fairing? Drawings say to rivet skins to remainder of Inspar ribs. HS-904.

I am building a -10, not a -14, so I'm assuming that these are similar in many ways.

Not sure exactly what you are asking - but there will be two fiber glass fairings at the end of the hor stab - one on the elevator and a fairing you will have to complete (fill in the trailing side) on the HS. Those will be riveted or screwed onto nutplates to hold in position.

In the middle, where there is a gap in the stabilizer, the vertical stabilizer will bolt onto the tail and HS to make an inverted T.

There will be another, rather complex shaped, fairing supplied in a later kit (at least, that's how the 10 works) that screws onto the tailcone, HS, and VS.

If you have the plans with you, read ahead! All information should be there. If you bought the USB drive, you can learn all you need.

I found it was rather helpful to copy all the USB files over to my dropbox account and then rename them all.

44_10 became 44_10 Wing Attachment.

That way, when I need to read ahead and see how some part I'm working on today fits with something else in 6 months, it is very easy to find the section I'm looking for.

Thanks for the reply. I do have the USB plans just not here in my hangar. I gues I’m saying should I Rivit the skins to the end (out side) and inside ribs at the end of the skin. I’ll research tonight for sure.

Plans

Thanks for the reply. I do have the USB plans just not here in my hangar. I gues I’m saying should I Rivit the skins to the end (out side) and inside ribs at the end of the skin. I’ll research tonight for sure.

There are specific call outs on the plans designating which holes to leave open for fairings.
Some builders only use a few holes for fairings. The tips have no other parts riveted so just leave those open till you work tips.

Back