What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bose A20 vs DC One-X

Rick_A

Well Known Member
I asked this question at the tail end of the other discussion about best RV headset but I'm not sure if it had many views. Forgive me if this a repeat for you.

The other thread mentioned the DC One-X headset which I had never really considered. I have an A20 as my primary headset. I want to get another headset as a back-up for me and for potential passengers. After doing further research, the One-X looks like a good candidate. I'm looking for comments from anyone that as used both a Bose A20 & DC One-X.

Just for reference, I've tried Zulu's (2 & 3), Bose X and Clarity Aloft. At the moment the A20 's are my favorite.

Rick - I have openly used the Bose a few times in other people’s planes, and have enjoyed using them, they work well. I have two pairs of the DC One-X’s that we use primarily in the Tundra. However, even though we are dyed-in-the-wool “in-ear” people when it comes to RV headsets, the One-X’s do occasionally find their way into the RV’s becasue we like them for long trips. And nothing is as long as Oshkosh to Lake Tahoe in the Tundra - that’s a good sixteen hours of flying, and the DC’s are comfortable from sun-up to Sundown. Much lighter than older generation DC’s, more comfortable, yet they still seem to be as rugged as the old reliable head clamps DC has made for generations.

I haven’t had to use Customer Service for either of them, so can’t comment there, but I have read a number of mixed reviews of Bose when it comes to service after the sale.

Paul

A-20

I've used both and I prefer the A-20, it just seems to be a better sound and quality product in my opinion. I now have two A-20s (Pilot and Passenger). I also like that they match. If you want to save a couple bucks skip the Bluetooth on the passenger side

The main issue I have with the DC?s are the inability to be connected to two bluetooth devices at once. With the Bose, I can be connected to my iPad then make a call to get my clearance with my iPhone.

My impression is that you should try one on on your own head. It seems headsets need to be matched to you personally, as the best one for someone else may or may not be the best one for you. I happen to like Zulus (all models) a lot. The earcups on the Bose are a little small for my liking. Yet other people like Bose better.

Sporty's will let you try a couple of headsets and you can return the ones you don't like.

My impression is that you should try one on on your own head. It seems headsets need to be matched to you personally, as the best one for someone else may or may not be the best one for you. I happen to like Zulus (all models) a lot. The earcups on the Bose are a little small for my liking. Yet other people like Bose better.

Sporty's will let you try a couple of headsets and you can return the ones you don't like.

I think you are right. I should just go ahead and buy the DC and see if like it. It looks like there a number of vendors that will do a 30 day trial. I noticed that DC itself has a 30 day free trial offer.

Rick - that's absolutely the best way to move forward. Each of us is completely unique in the size and shape of our head, plus our own preferences of how we use other things that alter headset performance, things like glasses and hats. The "try it out for a while" deals are without doubt the best way to ensure you get something you will like.

DC One-X

The DC product is made in the USA, a better warranty, and built stronger than the Bose, and their customer service is second to none. I had the Bose X, and after having to empty my wallet to get a small piece replaced that shouldn?t have broken, I sold them and went with the DC product.... no regrets. I also do six hour flights, and they are very comfortable. Plus they are less money too.

I fly regional RPT in Australia. Our aircraft were equipped with Bose X's and they were terrible at holding up to the rigours of commercial use.

It wasn't a good sign but I trusted the reviews on the A20's l, purchased my current set beginning 2016 and have worn them over 2800 hours to date. (Lemo/BT)

Average wear time per working day is 4-5 hours although I recently flew an RV9A across this entire floating desert (17 hours over three days) with no consideration given to what was sitting on top of my head at any point.

The consumable attachments have been replaced twice (once by Bose and once by me) which translates into +1300 hours before I need to spend 100AUD on foam.

I have sent the unit away for repair once at no cost to me. The unit was well out of warranty, same day shipping was applied both ways (big deal in this country) and they even replaced some screws and all of the consumable pieces at no cost. The unit was returned within the week from opposite ends of the country.

Other than a microphone issue (which was the reason for return) they have been flawless.

They're comfortable first thing on a cold winter's morning and they never enter my conscious thought when I jump back into a humid 140°F flight deck (as measured) after a turnaround in the middle of summer.

From startup until shutdown they cut all of the drone coming from two GE CT-7 engines but offer enough perceptible whine to immediately identify when something is not right (if the gauges or warning system doesn't tell us something first).

The microphone is exactly the right length for my big head, stays exactly where I put it, and when I wear my thick framed sunglasses the cups only let a touch of sound through.

When I fly with another A20 equipped pilot, after shutdown if either of us are talking and the other removes their headset you instantly realise how softly you've been speaking the whole time because you can't hear a **** thing coming out of their mouth. (edit: Really, is d*mn an offensive word here?)

On 3-5 hour paxing flights to the simulator I tuck the microphone behind the headband and relish the peace and quiet while I nap, listen to high fidelity music or watch a movie.

I use ships power at work but when I'm flying GA or listening to music the batteries last for a long, long time. The 40 hours quoted is very realistic and you know well in advance when it's time to replace the batteries.

On the contrary it's become so familiar to watch pilots who wear *LS* headsets (without lemo)(and understood this brand hasn't been called into question in this thread) having to change their batteries at the worst possible time and constantly adjusting their mic because it doesn't hold it's position or reach far enough. It's incredibly frustrating to have to move my intercom volume up and down all day while they subconsciously adjust their mic every few minutes. (I have approached LS about this after a serious safety incident. Zero rats given).

Big long post but it covers my experience. I wouldn't purchase anything but a Bose A20.

Last edited:
DC?s on order

I ordered a set of the One-X?s yesterday. I?ll post a review after I?ve flown with them.

I ordered a set of the One-X?s yesterday. I?ll post a review after I?ve flown with them.

Rick - great, we look forward to that review. I've had a pair of Bose X's with lemo plugs for 19 years now and 1700 hours, but have been eyeing that DC One-X as well. Five or six years ago I had to really rattle some cages at Bose to get some crummy plastic replacement pieces for the X's. They wouldn't sell me the parts I needed.

Somewhere around 2004, I took the local rep for Telex up and we each compared their top end model to the Bose X. I didn't like the Telex, as they utterly silenced the engine in the RV. Very creepy sensation!

First impression DC One-X

I flew for about 40 minutes today with the new DC One-X headset. My first impression is that I like them quite a bit.

I thought the noise cancelling is at least as good as the Bose A20. The sound was very clear both for reception and when I was speaking. I had to turn the volume down on the headset controller - they where loud compared to the A20's. I put the volume on the A20 at about 75%. The DC's don't have any volume markings, I'm guessing they were at full volume right out of the box.

I found the headset to be quite comfortable. It's hard to say if they are better or worse than the A20's. I'll have to do so longer flights and a back-to-back test: fly one leg with the Bose and the next leg with the DC's.

I've been using cloth ear seal covers https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/puclothearcovers.php with the Bose since I first started using them. I didn't use the covers on the DC's today but I plan to use them on the next flight.

I think it is very likely that I will keep this headset. These might become my new primary headset - time will tell.

Out of curiosity, what is the price difference paid between the A20 and One-X, Rick? I'm just curious to know what the real market pricing is today.

I always used cloth covers on earlier DCs but find I don?t need them with the One-X - very comfortable even on the hottest days.

I moved my older DC ANR headset across to to the passenger side when I bought the One-X. My son has been flying with me lately and complaining of difficulty hearing radio calls while the intercom has been fine. Started analysing the problem and finally swapped headsets - it was light and day. One-X so much better. I was setting the radio volume to suit me but that was nowhere near loud enough for his old headset.

Jack

Out of curiosity, what is the price difference paid between the A20 and One-X, Rick? I'm just curious to know what the real market pricing is today.

I did not find any discounts on headsets. I paid $895 for the DC One-X which includes Bluetooth (there no non-BT version). The Bose A20 is $995 without BT, $1095 with BT.

If I got another A20, I would have bought the non BT model.

Thanks for sharing this info, Rick. For the hundred dollar difference it just seems a good deal to keep the cash in one's pocket and go the One-X route.

I flew for about 40 minutes today with the new DC One-X headset. My first impression is that I like them quite a bit.

I thought the noise cancelling is at least as good as the Bose A20. The sound was very clear both for reception and when I was speaking. I had to turn the volume down on the headset controller - they where loud compared to the A20's. I put the volume on the A20 at about 75%. The DC's don't have any volume markings, I'm guessing they were at full volume right out of the box.

I found the headset to be quite comfortable. It's hard to say if they are better or worse than the A20's. I'll have to do so longer flights and a back-to-back test: fly one leg with the Bose and the next leg with the DC's.

I've been using cloth ear seal covers https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/puclothearcovers.php with the Bose since I first started using them. I didn't use the covers on the DC's today but I plan to use them on the next flight.

I think it is very likely that I will keep this headset. These might become my new primary headset - time will tell.

Rick - any further impressions? Have you gotten a few more hours' with them? Thanks.

I?ve only done one other short flight but I plan to get a couple of hours in the weekend. Still liked them on the second flight.

These are keepers

I used the headset for about 2 more hours over the weekend and I'm still liking them. I did not feel a need to switch back to my Bose A20's - even though I still like the A20's.

I've tried other headset's and knew after one flight if I did not like them.

I'm going to keep using DC's for now and I plan to keep them.

Back