What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forflight/Garmin Pilot and panel advice needed!

TME2FLY

I have an RV6A with All Dynon(Autopilot ADSB ARINC 429 etc) and a Garmin 650. I have my IFR checkride in a few weeks and now I would like to make better use of my Skyview screen space. The EMS could move to a second screen. I would also like to take advantage of the Garmin 650 flight plan integration with Garmin pilot(Auto upload of navigation updates with the Flightstream 510) I am debating on adding another Skyview screen where my Ipad is. I really like Foreflight but..... Any ideas? I do realize that for IFR I should have an Attitude indicator but I don't plan of flying in a lot of IFR conditions. I am open to ideas though. Thanks!

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 173
Gdl

How about a GDL 39 3D or GDL52r? That will give you backup attitude using Garmin pilot. I personally prefer Pilot over Foreflight. Do your flight planning/Bluetooth, traffic, to the 650 and attitude backup with one program.

Last edited:
As I understand it, you can have all the charts and GEO referenced plates displayed on your Dynon screen with a $99 / year Seattle Avionics chartdata subscription.

One would then only need ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot for backup and flight planning.

There are lots of options. This is only my opinion as I like as much as possible built into the airplane with only portable devices used for backup or planning.

I use an Ipad for flight planning and plates mostly, depending on an ipad if the only screen you have goes dark seems like a bad plan for IFR.

Last edited:
I use FF on an ipad for a second map and all ifr plates. I like using ff better than the g3x for checking freq’s wx and other things.

Larry

I have the Dynon 10” T and the 7” on the passenger side. Great feature is the SWAP key that allows u to trade images tween the 2 Dynon screens. I fly with the EMS and the flite instruments in front of me with the map on the 7”. Can SWAP them anytime in addition to the Quick reconfiguring each display offers.
I like the simple, uncluttered look. Most labeling on the knobs themselves. I have a mount for my IPhone on the left canopy bow that I run ForeFlight on. EZ to pull for pictures, and a great reminder NOT to take off without it.
I use the Seattle Charts that Gary mentions and they display on either Dynon screen. I can fliteplan on either my IPhone or IPad (carried as backup in cockpit) and upload to Skyview easily.
My panel :

Make yours the way u want it.

I do realize that for IFR I should have an Attitude indicator but I don't plan of flying in a lot of IFR conditions. I am open to ideas though. Thanks!

Do I understand correctly that you plan to fly in some actual IMC with only one source of attitude information? IMHO that is a bad idea. Getting a second independent attitude source (mini efis, AI, etc) should be a high priority.

Do I understand correctly that you plan to fly in some actual IMC with only one source of attitude information? IMHO that is a bad idea. Getting a second independent attitude source (mini efis, AI, etc) should be a high priority.

We've beat this horse until it's dead. "lite" IFR is a myth.

Equip it like your life depends on it.

I am thinking of an independent attitude indicator with battery backup as well. Any recommendations? I do have a Stratus that feeds AHARS info to my Foreflight that some consider an OKish backup in an emergency

Last edited:
I have the Dynon 10” T and the 7” on the passenger side. Great feature is the SWAP key that allows u to trade images tween the 2 Dynon screens. I fly with the EMS and the flite instruments in front of me with the map on the 7”. Can SWAP them anytime in addition to the Quick reconfiguring each display offers.
I like the simple, uncluttered look. Most labeling on the knobs themselves. I have a mount for my IPhone on the left canopy bow that I run ForeFlight on. EZ to pull for pictures, and a great reminder NOT to take off without it.
I use the Seattle Charts that Gary mentions and they display on either Dynon screen. I can fliteplan on either my IPhone or IPad (carried as backup in cockpit) and upload to Skyview easily.
My panel :

Make yours the way u want it.

Similar to what I was thinking. Running out of space though:) Do you fly actual IMC with this?

Back