What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vetterman 4 tube exhaust tips

Stewbronco

Well Known Member
Hi All ....I have an RV4 with 0-360 and Vetterman 4 pipe exhaust. Great set up but I have the exhaust tips with a " downturn " to direct exhaust down into the slipstream......while this has some advantages,I believe aerodynamically I would be better off with straight tips ( ok probably better with 4 into 1 ,but not looking to change entire exhaust!) .....my question is ...anybody got real world experience with straight tips ? Obviously more heat closer to fuselage ( my main concern!) ....could build a heat shield if necessary or even use self adhesive reflective material ? ....thanks. Stew. Pictures would be appreciated.
[email protected]

Another thing to consider..

The 4 pipe system can yield some drumming vibration. Even with the turn downs, it has been recommended to angle them inward or outward. I have the 4 pipe on mine, and I cut them shorter as well as angled them all inward somewhat dynafocal style. They barely protrude below the cowl outlet lip. Mine have no drumming vibration tendencies, nor floor heat/ paint discoloring.

LARRY VETTERMAN

Thanks Bill ....just so happens I got a private message with a phone number and it turned out to be Larry Vetterman! Hard to find a better authority on this exhaust ! What a great gesture on his part and he absolutely confirmed everything you say in your post ! He said I could very safely cut off an inch from the end of the downturned pipes ....I would like to take off a bit more than that and it sounds like you might have and not had negative results.
Wondering if you might have any pictures of your exhaust ? in particular those cut down tips . I like your idea of turning the tips in as turning them out basically points them at upper landing gear fairing that is very close . Many thanks to you and Larry. Takes a great deal of concern out of cutting those pipes shorter Cheers. Stew. [email protected]

Last edited:
I have no joy with posting pics on VAF..My firewall prohibits all photo hosting sites, and my posting skill set is terrible trying to find a work around. I sent pics to Stew, and could send to you as well, or Stew can post the pics I sent him.

Me too

I too am no good at posting
pictures here ....I did email all I had to Larry and I think he has a favourite solution. Cheers. Stew

What would an angled or slash cut on a straight pipe do?

No downturn, but it make act like there is a downturn.

You no longer need a photo hosting site. You can post directly to VAF. There are a few threads explaining how.

Dave

Downturn

From talking to several RV people I have the utmost respect for and absolutely know their stuff on this ......it would be safe to say the overwhelming consensus is that a 20 degree down turn from the already 15 degree downangle of the pipes is required !! Angle in or out ....no definitive preference.....cut off parallel to slipstream ....ok BUT make sure that slipstream can NOT " pressurize " the exhaust ....I intend to just scallop the trailing edge of the cut ...
Larry Vetterman did exhaustive ( pun intended) testing on this exhaust during its development and was gracious enough to to reach out to me and share the great benefit of that experience...

Back